Could Doctor Who ever be a Woman?

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

Re: Could Doctor Who ever be a Woman?

Postby Quoshara » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:16 pm

I can imagine. *s* I wrote a story for a crossover community once that included Buffy/Sentinel/X-men/SGA/Highlander (and a few others *L*). It was a hoot.

Fortunately it was only a promo story that was used to try to pull people into the comm so it didn't have to be in-depth.

And oops... we've really strayed from the topic here...so...er... Yeah, the Doctor could be a woman... but I doubt it will ever happen. <-- OOTC
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......
Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Postby chasnicollette » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Quo wrote:I can imagine. *s* I wrote a story for a crossover community once that included Buffy/Sentinel/X-men/SGA/Highlander (and a few others *L*). It was a hoot.

Fortunately it was only a promo story that was used to try to pull people into the comm so it didn't have to be in-depth.

And oops... we've really strayed from the topic here...so...er... Yeah, the Doctor could be a woman... but I doubt it will ever happen. <-- OOTC

Yes, it's specifically physically canonically possible. But it won't happen, canonically, nor should it.

Still fun to chat about, though!

(If that story's still up somewhere, I'd love a link in PM!)
"He has a range of awareness that startles you, but it belongs to him by right, because it belongs to the world he lives in. If there were enough like him, the world would be a very safe place to live in, without becoming too dull to be worth living in." -Raymond Chandler.

"Allons-y." -The Tenth Doctor.

(AV: JM1776)
chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby captainuniverse » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Like Chasnicollette suggested, I could definitely see Jamie Murray as a female version of the Doctor. When she played H.G. Wells on Warehouse 13, she definitely displayed the stuff that makes a Doctor a Doctor, IMHO.
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby chasnicollette » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:41 pm

captainuniverse wrote:Like Chasnicollette suggested, I could definitely see Jamie Murray as a female version of the Doctor. When she played H.G. Wells on Warehouse 13, she definitely displayed the stuff that makes a Doctor a Doctor, IMHO.

Including
Spoiler:
going crazy and risking all of human history because of a broken heart, amirite?

You know that's right.

(And I guess it's "Jaime?" Like The Bionic Woman. ...as played by Lindsay Wagner who guest-starred on "Warehouse 13" OHMYGODIT'SALLCONNECTED.)
"He has a range of awareness that startles you, but it belongs to him by right, because it belongs to the world he lives in. If there were enough like him, the world would be a very safe place to live in, without becoming too dull to be worth living in." -Raymond Chandler.

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby CamSPD » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:36 am

I dunno if they'd ever let the Doctor be anything other than British. Two Scots have played him, and neither was allowed to speak with their natural accent---they had to go Brit for the part. Though I personally feel that as long as they're from Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, even Australia---as long as they have an accent (which to me is one of the most noticeable traits of the character, the voice), they should be able to do it.

The companion, though---for that matter, even the Master---could be any ethnicity, IMHO. I mean, John Barrowman, though himself Scottish by birth, clearly speaks with an American voice (unaccented to us, accented to just about everyone else) due to his being raised in the US from the age of 8. I think he made a fantastic change and brought a bit of diversity to the show though he wasn't on it long (but he was on long enough to inspire them to create a spinoff!).
"Ah! She is a writer!"
We are free because of the brave.
CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby CamSPD » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:42 am

As for a woman... I think if they ever decided to try it canonically, they could do it like they did in the comedy spoof "Curse of Fatal Death" and have him change gender when his thirteenth (and supposedly last) life is over. Difference between canon and the spoof, I think, should have the female Doctor starting out as an older, mature person (perhaps Dame Helen?) and get younger with each new regeneration, until she's regenerated 12 times and becomes a man again.
"Ah! She is a writer!"
We are free because of the brave.
CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Ezri » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:57 am

There could be a spin-off and the character is a woman. The fact is the doctor has been a male since the 1960’s. Still, the doctor is getting younger with each new doctor. Not sure with the BBC, they understand what a spin-off is, as it is very American, not to say per se the BBC never has done it before.
Underworld Awaking January 20, 2012
Ezri
Commander
Commander

Postby AdmiralSirJohn » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Actually, the BBC have done four Doctor Who spinoffs:

1. K-9 and Company (pilot only)
2. Torchwood
3. The Sarah Jane Adventures
4. K9
(Yes, the image is me, but the photomanip wasn't done by me.)
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Postby chasnicollette » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:25 pm

AdmiralSirJohn wrote:Actually, the BBC have done four Doctor Who spinoffs:

1. K-9 and Company (pilot only)
2. Torchwood
3. The Sarah Jane Adventures
4. K9

Exactly right, ASJ.

This is not even, of course, including the various non-to-semi-canonical audio media over the years from BBC themselves and Big Finish Productions.

I've never gotten into them myself, but I know of Whovians who froth over the ongoing Eighth Doctor Adventures. And I'm told they have Lady Doctor storylines in there, as well.

I'm told Iris Wildthyme is quite the adventuress herself. If her chronicles ever made the leap to live action, that would be pretty much as good as having a Lady Doctor, IMHO.

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby chasnicollette » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:29 pm

CamSPD wrote:I dunno if they'd ever let the Doctor be anything other than British. Two Scots have played him, and neither was allowed to speak with their natural accent---they had to go Brit for the part. Though I personally feel that as long as they're from Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales, even Australia---as long as they have an accent (which to me is one of the most noticeable traits of the character, the voice), they should be able to do it.

The companion, though---for that matter, even the Master---could be any ethnicity, IMHO. I mean, John Barrowman, though himself Scottish by birth, clearly speaks with an American voice (unaccented to us, accented to just about everyone else) due to his being raised in the US from the age of 8. I think he made a fantastic change and brought a bit of diversity to the show though he wasn't on it long (but he was on long enough to inspire them to create a spinoff!).

At least they gave Tennant a bit of fun in "Tooth and Claw," getting to bust out his native tones a couple episodes in, even if he did switch back to the Estuary partway through.

(Speaking of which, John Barrowman's Scots accent is adorable as Hell.)

Captain Jack's arc has been amazing, developing from straight-up con man to reluctant hero to antiheroic Defender of The Earth...

...and he ain't hard on the eyes, either.

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby chasnicollette » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:33 pm

CamSPD wrote:As for a woman... I think if they ever decided to try it canonically, they could do it like they did in the comedy spoof "Curse of Fatal Death" and have him change gender when his thirteenth (and supposedly last) life is over. Difference between canon and the spoof, I think, should have the female Doctor starting out as an older, mature person (perhaps Dame Helen?) and get younger with each new regeneration, until she's regenerated 12 times and becomes a man again.

Speaking, as we did, of "Sarah Jane Adventures..."

XD

Lest we get off-topic here talking about the number of his regenerations, I'm especially pointing out the line here where he says, "No, I can be anything."

(But the "507" bit is still pretty hilarious.)

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby chasnicollette » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:18 pm

captainuniverse wrote:A funny thing I thought of is... if the Master was still around, could he be a she? :-k ::fd::

...huh.

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Postby lafr » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:19 am

4 years, 9 months to resurrect a thread.

Is that a record?
lafr
Captain
Captain

Postby Jpatten » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:23 pm

The Master HAS / IS a woman .. I think Season 8 is where it occurred... One of the ones with the Cybermen I am pretty sure.
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby chasnicollette » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:49 pm

IT IS TIME

chasnicollette
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

PreviousNext

Return to Other Sci-Fi, & Fantasy