Rogue One -- Thoughts --- possible spoilers

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

Rogue One -- Thoughts --- possible spoilers

Postby Jpatten » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:34 pm

OK, I don't want to give away too much to those who haven''t seen it, but I admit I really liked the movie. There were a few points that pulled me out of the story for a moment or two, but not badly enough to really break anything.

It LOOKS like star wars, but has a different feel from the other movies. It actually hits me more emotionally than any of the others. I hate to say darker, because that is an over used phrase, but it was grittier for certain. Can you be grittier without being darker?

I would say in tone it would be closest to either ESB or revenge of the Sith, but again this hit me more emotionally than either of the others. I think because By the time i was old enough to really start having the emotional punch of ESB I had already seen it so much it was familiar and RotS just never really engaged me to care about the characters.

There is a Definite theme of "War is Hell" in this movie. Much more so than any of the others. I can discuss in more detail and would love to, but at least in the initial post I don't want to give away too much that will spoil things.

To me, the music wasn't as good as the other ones. The themes didn't seem as well developed and while it pulled the well known Williams themes in I didn't feel like it was telling the story along with the movie like it does in the original trilogy.

It comes across as a stand alone story without getting really tangled up in the main line Skywalker story arc but ties in enough to be a part of the story.

The are a few moment of obvious Fan service and I think a few times it was just done too blatantly and that cracked the disbelief a few times, but I can be forgiving.
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Rogue One -- Thoughts --- possible spoilers

Postby Michael » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:46 pm

Haven't seen it yet. Hope to in the coming week.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby collierctr » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:32 pm

There were a few scenes where I was like "ok, I get it move on, new scene" but that's pretty typical for me whenever I see a movie there's some extra footage I could do without. And there is a reveal near the end that looked cartoonish to me -flat, 2 dimensional, little depth - thankfully short but still wish they could have done that as well as Civil War did a longer scene with young RDJ which imo was more believable and life like.

I'd give it 3.5 out of 4 stars not deducting any points for the animation.
"THERE IS NO SANCTUARY!"
collierctr
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby ambessalion » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:39 pm

loved it beginning to end.....vast improvement to the overall franchise.
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby Jpatten » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:10 am

OK .. possible spoiler stuff below for those who have not seen... and want to see it. Also I am going to throw out impressions so this may be somewhat disjointed

FIrst, I really did enjoy the movie and feel like it did a decent job of tying up the story and not leaving a lot of loose ends hanging around to mess with established events in the original Trilogy.

Also, Killing off basically the Entire main good guy cast makes sense from a story telling perspective but I honestly did not expect it at first and think it was a good story telling decision.

I think it really tries to drive home the idea that "War is hell"

I also think that I could have done with out the Leia REveal at the end. It was only a few seconds long and even without her turning around and showing off the CGI face we all knew who it was from the back. The Leia CGI seemed off to me and hit the uncanny valley and threw me out of the story.

On the other hand I admit I really didn't notice the flaws in the CGI Tarkin so much even though he was on screen a lot more. I think the other complaint I had was the thow away scene of R2 and C-3PO on Yavin IV. It felt like it was thrown in just to show them. Perhaps have them briefly at the end when the ship is escaping to hyperspace if necessary, but in the background. Giving them dialog just didn't seem necessary to me.

On another note, I like that the Deathstar Super laser can be controlled enough to take out a city or the whole planet. It did seem like blowing up a planet wholesale was a bit much.

I like the rivalry between Krennic and Tarkin and the apparent bureaucratic infighting. It gives a .. realism to the Imperial structure that shows that they are people, not just faceless canon fodder for the Rebellion. Not necessarily sympathetic but identifiable.
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Return to Other Sci-Fi, & Fantasy