Starting up a sim...

A place for discussion of all forms of Roleplaying.

Moderators: jayphailey, AslanC

TimPendragon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Starting up a sim...

Post by TimPendragon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:06 am

With one of the sims I'm in about to fall apart, and the other just very naturally slow moving, I'm giving serious thought to starting one up myself. Specifically reviving an old concept, my favorite game from days of yore, Kal-Dixas Spaceport. You may find some hives of scum and villainy more wretched, but not many, and not by much.

An independent colony in neutral space, in a sector bordering the Federation, the Ferengi and the Breen, not all that far from the Romulan Neutral Zone. Originally springing up around a Ferengi mining venture, Kal-Dixas gained independence when the dilithium ran out and the Ferengi and their partners left. The Orion Syndicate showed mild interest in the world, and by the 2370s, it had become something of a smuggler's haven, though there were still legitimate colonists hoping to make a decent life for themselves, and a government and constabulary trying to uphold the law and maintain order. But then the Dominion came. The Jem'Hadar took the planet as a staging area for their campaign on the Romulan front, and whatever turf wars were brewing on Kal-Dixas were soon forgotten. An engagement between Starfleet, Romulan, Jem'Hadar and Breen forces in 2375 became known as the Battle of Dixas and drove the Dominion out of the system, but not before much damage had been done. Over the next few years, a few couple of businessmen invested in rebuilding the colony, and Starfleet gave some halfhearted attention to a subspace relay station there, but nothing ever really stuck and Kal-Dixas was left to its own devices.

Flash forward to 2387. Over a decade after the Dominion War, the colony was still struggling back to its feet when the Hobus star went hypernova, destroying the Romulan and Reman homeworlds and changing the galaxy forever. Like many worlds along the border, Kal-Dixas became a destination for refugees, and a target for desperate brigands. Relief workers and aid organizations existing alongside the displaced and the criminals. Starfleet misfits and dunsels assigned to punishment detail at a backwater consulate suddenly thrust into the role of caretakers, counselors and protectors. An ex-officer and a freighter captain who form an underground railroad for refugees and dissidents. And as always, the opportunists and scoundrels, con artists and rogues, those seeking to turn a profit and those simply trying to survive.

I think there's plenty of life in the setting, plenty of opportunity for quirky characters and interesting stories. The frontier-like environment of a Star Wars- or Firefly-type setting in the Trek universe. What do you think? Does it have legs?
...the wisdom to discover the right, the will to choose it, and the strength to make it endure...

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Re: Starting up a sim...

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:40 pm

If it looks and sounds like a horse, then it has legs.

Sounds interesting. I like the general idea because it shows a part of Trek beyond the usual Starfleet/military life. :D
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

TimPendragon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by TimPendragon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:55 pm

If I'm going to go forward with this, I'll need to figure out hosting and all that goes along with it... Gone are the days when just creating a Yahoo group would be good enough. I suck at web-design.
...the wisdom to discover the right, the will to choose it, and the strength to make it endure...

TimPendragon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by TimPendragon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:52 am

Hunh. Posted this on a sim/RPG site to see if there'd be any interest, and of course the first comments are all about how much people hate "what Abrams canon did to Romulus" and how I'm an idiot for not ignoring it. :roll:

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:37 pm

TimPendragon wrote:If I'm going to go forward with this, I'll need to figure out hosting and all that goes along with it... Gone are the days when just creating a Yahoo group would be good enough. I suck at web-design.

you can ignore nu-trek and still include hobus lol.....i guess they don't think so
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

TimPendragon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by TimPendragon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:50 pm

ambessalion wrote:you can ignore nu-trek and still include hobus lol.....i guess they don't think so
Nah, it's the perspective that "everything JJ has touched is tainted, and all of his ideas are shit. He should never have blown up Romulus!"

To be clear: I don't like that Romulus and Remus are gone, but I see great potential in stories that can come out of that.

Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Post by Bry_Sinclair » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:49 am

I dislike Romulus being destroyed (mainly for the reason they gave--how can a single supernova threaten the entire galaxy?) but have to admit that it would give a lot of options for stories, the Romulan Star Empire collapsing after the loss of their homeworld whilst a few stalwarts try to keep a hold of the reigns, refugees scattered across the quadrant, Klingons seizing the opportunity to claim more territory, the Federation offering aid, the end of the Neutral Zone.

If you were going with a station idea, then having it along the Romulan border (either inside what was once the NZ or in unclaimed space) would put it in a key position to provide support and aid, as well as face the uncertainty of the region following the disaster.

Had I the time, this could be something I might be interested in getting involved in.
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco

TimPendragon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by TimPendragon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:51 am

Sizes/distances are a bit off, but this is the general area...

TimPendragon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by TimPendragon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:44 am

So what's the best option for web hosting these days? I'm not able to pay for hosting at the moment, so there probably isn't much out there. Is Google Sites viable? Or is there something else?

ArtItUp
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

Post by ArtItUp » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:23 am

http://st-bob.com/

They do site hosting for games. Free I think, you'll have to double check the conditions (but I think there's a guide on how to do it too)
PLEASE tell me if you end up using one of my pics. I'd love to see what you did with it.

TimPendragon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by TimPendragon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:40 am

ArtItUp wrote:http://st-bob.com/

They do site hosting for games. Free I think, you'll have to double check the conditions (but I think there's a guide on how to do it too)
Thanks for the heads up. I've dealt a little with Band of Brothers in the past, they're generally a good-natured if somewhat discombobulated group of games. But even if they still offer hosting, it's only for member sims of their group. I'm thinking more about just general websites, like Google Sites, something similar to the late, lamented GeoCities of old. What are the options out there like that these days?

TimPendragon
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by TimPendragon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:30 pm

I've got a work in progress site going here...

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:52 pm

i have more issues with what nero did with in the AU than with hobus....i can (somewhat) handle prime universe post-hobus stuff
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm