Star Trek Online

For discussion, images, etc., of the Star Trek Online RPG.

Moderator: jayphailey

Postby ambessalion » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:34 am

i want to play the game, but idk if it can be played online....i take it that i'll need a subscription and/or the CD to play?
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby GalileoAce » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:38 am

ambessalion wrote:i want to play the game, but idk if it can be played online....i take it that i'll need a subscription and/or the CD to play?

You can download the client, but you will need a retail code, which you can get from a box game (with a disc etc), or digital download (ie: Steam, Impulse).

You will need to a subscription. It's about $15 month.
GalileoAce
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Lionheart » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:38 am

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to create a new character... at least I'm not very far along...
“Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness.” – Otto Von Bismarck
Lionheart
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Postby ambessalion » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:45 am

GalileoAce wrote:
ambessalion wrote:i want to play the game, but idk if it can be played online....i take it that i'll need a subscription and/or the CD to play?

You can download the client, but you will need a retail code, which you can get from a box game (with a disc etc), or digital download (ie: Steam, Impulse).

You will need to a subscription. It's about $15 month.

i can't afford it at this time, maybe a few months from now i most likely can....so i'll just wait and gawk at the pictures posted here....
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby JaceRidley » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:17 am

Lionheart wrote:Yeah, I think I'm going to have to create a new character... at least I'm not very far along...

Yeah I'm not sure what the problem is but I've gone through the tutorial a few times with various characters and I've never heard of that problem. So far as I know, there's no glitch. Might want to also check your keybinds and things like that.

Hit Lt.Cmdr. 6 tonight...also my crew is full for the moment. It's kinda neat. I can't wait for them to introduce the Respec option so I can fix the way I built Gideon, now that I understand the skills more.

That's magic in a cheetah print coat, Just a slip underneath it I hope
Asking if I can have one of those, Organic cigarettes that she smokes
Wraps her lips round the Mexican coke, Makes you wish that you were the bottle
Takes a sip of your soul and it sounds like…

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Postby Lionheart » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:44 am

JMaxwell wrote:
Lionheart wrote:Yeah, I think I'm going to have to create a new character... at least I'm not very far along...

Yeah I'm not sure what the problem is but I've gone through the tutorial a few times with various characters and I've never heard of that problem. So far as I know, there's no glitch. Might want to also check your keybinds and things like that.

Hit Lt.Cmdr. 6 tonight...also my crew is full for the moment. It's kinda neat. I can't wait for them to introduce the Respec option so I can fix the way I built Gideon, now that I understand the skills more.

I finally figured out what it was, it hadn't given me the warp to the active probe region prompt. I'm off on missions now though aboard the USS Capulet...
“Be polite; write diplomatically; even in a declaration of war one observes the rules of politeness.” – Otto Von Bismarck
Lionheart

Postby ambessalion » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:22 am

why would Starfleet use Romeo and Juliet as a reference for ship names? :shock:
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby GalileoAce » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:04 am

ambessalion wrote:why would Starfleet use Romeo and Juliet as a reference for ship names? :shock:

Well it's no worse than "USS Teabagger"
GalileoAce
Ensign
Ensign

Postby Lionheart » Sun Feb 07, 2010 6:27 am

GalileoAce wrote:
ambessalion wrote:why would Starfleet use Romeo and Juliet as a reference for ship names? :shock:

Well it's no worse than "USS Teabagger"

Eh, the character I'm using began his Starfleet career my FanFic aboard the Shakespeare class courier USS Capulet. Seemed a bit fitting... eventually it'll be the USS Lioinheart.
Lionheart

Postby JM1776 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:58 am

The better question is, "Why wouldn't they?" The onus is on you to explain.

It's not as if the guy's tooling around in the USS Asmodeus.
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby JaceRidley » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:47 am

JM1776 wrote:

The better question is, "Why wouldn't they?" The onus is on you to explain.

It's not as if the guy's tooling around in the USS Asmodeus.

Sadly, I've seen a USS Asmodeus or two flying around. Supposedly, the developers will eventually be implementing a system of what and cannot be used for ship names to at least enhance if not strictly enforce Immersion.

Also, Romeo and Juliet is one of the most well known works by any author in Earth history. Using it makes absolutely perfect sense and I have no idea why you'd wonder otherwise. Think about the ship names we've seen. What makes YOU think they wouldn't, ambessalion?

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Postby Quoshara » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:00 am

And as another thought.... why couldn't there have been an Admiral Capulet that the ship was named for? Just because she was not mentioned in a canon source does not mean she could not exist. :wink:
*~Quo~*

Fic ahoy!

Well, damn....what should I write next? Hmmmmmmmm......
Quoshara
Klingon Admin
Klingon Admin

Postby ambessalion » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:07 am

JMaxwell wrote:.....

Sadly, I've seen a USS Asmodeus or two flying around. Supposedly, the developers will eventually be implementing a system of what and cannot be used for ship names to at least enhance if not strictly enforce Immersion.

Also, Romeo and Juliet is one of the most well known works by any author in Earth history. Using it makes absolutely perfect sense and I have no idea why you'd wonder otherwise. Think about the ship names we've seen. What makes YOU think they wouldn't, ambessalion?

i've seen them use historical persons, events, locations, concepts (such as enterprise, defiant, freedom, etc) but not a direct literary reference.....

for a shuttlecraft or a cargo ship, etc, etc makes sense....but not for a full starship....

just doesn't make sense to me....
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby JaceRidley » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:21 am

ambessalion wrote:
i've seen them use historical persons, events, locations, concepts (such as enterprise, defiant, freedom, etc) but not a direct literary reference.....

for a shuttlecraft or a cargo ship, etc, etc makes sense....but not for a full starship....

just doesn't make sense to me....

...so...you've never heard of the USS Excalibur(Arthurian Legend), or the USS Ajax(The Illiad), or the USS Odyssey(from..The Odyssey), or the USS Ulysses(i.e. James Joyce, since it's not named the Ulysses S. Grant)...All of these ARE Canon.

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Postby ambessalion » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:23 am

okay, point taken :-D
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

PreviousNext

Return to Star Trek Online