Star Trek Online Screens

For discussion, images, etc., of the Star Trek Online RPG.

Moderator: jayphailey

Postby JM1776 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:12 am

Gee, thanks. Think "Western Australia" might have tipped me off? :wink:

I was jokingly referring to the fact that, audially speaking, "kicking ass" simply sounds more visceral than "kicking arse" does. The latter sounds like one's effete 135 pound English butler threatening to whup you. 8)
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby GalileoAce » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:22 am

JM1776 wrote:Gee, thanks. Think "Western Australia" might have tipped me off? :wink:

I was jokingly referring to the fact that, audially speaking, "kicking ass" simply sounds more visceral than "kicking arse" does. The latter sounds like one's effete 135 pound English butler threatening to whup you. 8)


Kicking ass sounds pussy a(apple)-ss, and weak. Kicking arse. Ahh-ss Sounds deeper, stronger. I've never heard someone say kicking ass. Not even on US Televsion.

So ner :P
:wink:
User avatar
GalileoAce
Ensign
Ensign
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:06 am
Location: Western Australia

Postby JM1776 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:28 am

I love the internet, in that it allows people to publicly exercise their fundamental right to be laughably wrong—as you yourself just did. :twisted:

Must come from being upside down all the time like that. :wink:

Either that, or Australian televsion rots your brain even more than American television does.

Nah, that's impossible. 8)

[Oh, and ... joking aside, if you haven't heard that on American television, you haven't watched much, or are unconsciously substituting "arse" for "ass" when you do. It's used pretty regularly.]
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby GalileoAce » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:33 am

JM1776 wrote:I love the internet, in that it allows people to publicly exercise their fundamental right to be laughably wrong—as you yourself just did. :twisted:
Must come from being upside down all the time like that. :wink:
Either that, or Australian televsion rots your brain even more than American television does.
Nah, that's impossible. 8)
[Oh, and ... joking aside, if you haven't heard that on American television, you haven't watched much, or are unconsciously substituting "arse" for "ass" when you do. It's used pretty regularly.]


It's entirely possible that you say ass like I say arse....Dialects and accents and all that.
User avatar
GalileoAce
Ensign
Ensign
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:06 am
Location: Western Australia

Postby JM1776 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:38 am

GalileoAce wrote:It's entirely possible that you say ass like I say arse ... dialects and accents and all that.


Oh, that's definitely it. I'm just bustin' your chops—though, kidding aside, I do think "arse" sounds effete. I'd probably laugh at someone who used it with me ... and, of course, proceed to kick their ...

... wait for it ...

...ASS! 8)
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby GalileoAce » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:41 am

JM1776 wrote:
GalileoAce wrote:It's entirely possible that you say ass like I say arse ... dialects and accents and all that.


Oh, that's definitely it. I'm just bustin' your chops—though, kidding aside, I do think "arse" sounds effete. I'd probably laugh at someone who used it with me ... and, of course, proceed to kick their ...

... wait for it ...

...ASS! 8)


I'd like to see you try
Image

:lol:
User avatar
GalileoAce
Ensign
Ensign
 
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:06 am
Location: Western Australia

Postby JM1776 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:09 pm

[Yawns.]

Yet another impertinent twerp fighting out of her weight class. :roll:

Here's a vowel, Vanna: Two guns are for people who don't know how to use one. :twisted:

:wink:
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:26 pm

JM1776 wrote:Yet another impertinent twerp fighting out of her weight class. :roll:

What does weight matter when you've got energy weapons? :-k

;)
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
 
Posts: 12225
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole

Postby JM1776 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:56 pm

Michael wrote:
JM1776 wrote:Yet another impertinent twerp fighting out of her weight class. :roll:

What does weight matter when you've got energy weapons? :-k

;)


What does energy matter, pun intended, when you've got imagination? 8)
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:21 pm

JM1776 wrote:What does energy matter, pun intended, when you've got imagination? 8)

I don't think imagination will do much good against a phaser set to fry.

But let's test this idea.

You go and stand out in the open on some island in the Pacific and we'll drop a one megaton warhead on the island, and you imagine all you want. :D
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
 
Posts: 12225
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole

Postby JM1776 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Michael wrote:
JM1776 wrote:What does energy matter, pun intended, when you've got imagination? 8)

I don't think imagination will do much good against a phaser set to fry.


Considering that a phaser is a figment of imagination ... my imagination is arguably more powerful.

But let's test this idea.

You go and stand out in the open on some island in the Pacific and we'll drop a one megaton warhead on the island, and you imagine all you want. :D


No. Let's test it this way: I'll stand here whilst you fire whatever phaser you can come up with. :roll:

Alternately, I accept your challenge ... but I choose the island. I'm standing in Port Moresby on New Guinea. You're permitted to drop your little weapon on Sorong.

Wouldn't feel much, and would certainly not die, even though I'm on the very same island.

You really should be more precise with your parameters, Scooter. 8)
Last edited by JM1776 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:38 pm

JM1776 wrote:Alternately, I accept your challenge ... but I choose the island. I'm standing in Port Moresby on New Guinea. You're permitted to drop your little weapon on Sorong.

That kind of sophistry is lame. :roll:

You know the point was the bomb would be dropped on you... Scooter. :D :D :D
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
 
Posts: 12225
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole

Postby JM1776 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:47 pm

Michael wrote:
JM1776 wrote:Alternately, I accept your challenge ... but I choose the island. I'm standing in Port Moresby on New Guinea. You're permitted to drop your little weapon on Sorong.

That kind of sophistry is lame. :roll:


And your chronic, nigh constant, inappropriate pedantry is tiresome.

You know the point was the bomb would be dropped on you... Scooter. :D :D :D


Hmm ... you use both a word and a diminutive that are practically in my private domain, and question my imagination.

Yeah, you won this one. :roll:
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:54 pm

JM1776 wrote:And your chronic, nigh constant, inappropriate pedantry...

Uh... who was insisting I be more precise? :?

Hmm ... you use both a word and a diminutive that are practically in my private domain...

We get to claim words for ourselves?

Where do I sign up? ;)
-Michael Gray
Image
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
User avatar
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin
 
Posts: 12225
Joined: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm
Location: North of the North Pole

Postby JM1776 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:57 pm

Michael wrote:
JM1776 wrote:And your chronic, nigh constant, inappropriate pedantry...

Uh... who was insisting I be more precise? :?


The same person who used imagination and had it labeled "sophistry" by the bad guy. :wink:

Hmm ... you use both a word and a diminutive that are practically in my private domain...

We get to claim words for ourselves?

Where do I sign up? ;)


Don't even go there. You have an effin' patent on "wonderful," and you damned well know it. 8)
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador
 
Posts: 13500
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:27 pm
Location: Pennsyltucky

PreviousNext

Return to Star Trek Online

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron