Star Trek Online - Character Discussion

For discussion, images, etc., of the Star Trek Online RPG.

Moderator: jayphailey

Star Trek Online - Character Discussion

Postby jayphailey » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 am

This is my central character from Star Trek Online -

Well okay - there is a story here. first of all this is Dennnis Washburn's Character

He came up with the guy and named him "Benton Quest" - Yeah, Johnny's Dad from Johnny Quest.

Image Image
Last edited by jayphailey on Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby jayphailey » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 am

WHOA! Too Big! Alterning now.

Edit:

Okay. Forgot to Confirm my rough rule of thumb - pics in support of a post should be around 200 px, more or less. Edited Pics in question to conform to this idea.

Although some will be larger to illustrate my points - I'll try to stick to about 200 px on one side, for an asthetically pleasing square or rectangle.

Please feel free to post character pics and screen caps to this thread to discuss your characters - but let's bear in mind even pictures can provoke a "TL;DR" reaction if they're too big too often.

On ward.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby jayphailey » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:01 am

Now, Dennis and I are sharing an account. So there's Benton Quest, but with the hair color reversed. What do I Do?

Yup. Race Bannon!

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby jayphailey » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:11 am

I noticed a couple of things about RB right off the bat.

A) The joke is (mildly) funny, but such a joke unless it develops in a careful direction, gets old very quickly.

B) I pictured my self actually trying to play this character in an RPG sense, and I had no feel for him. the Canon Race Bannon is a former James Bond style Super Spy, who is on special assignement, semi-retirement to body guard Benton Quest.

I couldn't really feel a transposition of this story into Star Trek. I couldn't feel the character's back story

C) I imangined trying present such a character in play, and I mentally clammed up. I can't be/present the guy right. I don't have enough of a third dimension to him. When someone he likes, or wants to like comes up to him and tells him a story that sounds like a bad acid trip, but the other character is earest that it's an accurate reporting, How does this guy feel?

When a gung ho kid with delusions of bad-assery starts flapping his gums, how does RB feel about that? When an Alien Illusion Brain thingy comes along in the form of Race's Mom, what unresolved feelings and events flood into RBs mind?

I had no feeling.

So I decided to change my character.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby jayphailey » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:19 am

After some thought, I revamped RB to be a different Guy, although for the life of me, I can't figure out how to change my character's name in STO.

Although it may seem un-original, and sort of the opposite of what I was thinking - this guy is someone who I can role play, and inter-act with other characters on an extemporaneous basis

This guy is Jay P Hailey-6, or Jay-6. The intent is that he is a variation of my Fanfic Character. I tried to roughly suggest my face with his,
although I consider this a not-entirely-successful

The real Jay

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby Michael » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:54 pm

jayphailey wrote:B) I pictured my self actually trying to play this character in an RPG sense, and I had no feel for him. the Canon Race Bannon is a former James Bond style Super Spy, who is on special assignement, semi-retirement to body guard Benton Quest.

I couldn't really feel a transposition of this story into Star Trek. I couldn't feel the character's back story

C) I imangined trying present such a character in play, and I mentally clammed up. I can't be/present the guy right. I don't have enough of a third dimension to him. When someone he likes, or wants to like comes up to him and tells him a story that sounds like a bad acid trip, but the other character is earest that it's an accurate reporting, How does this guy feel?

When a gung ho kid with delusions of bad-assery starts flapping his gums, how does RB feel about that? When an Alien Illusion Brain thingy comes along in the form of Race's Mom, what unresolved feelings and events flood into RBs mind?

I had no feeling.

That surprises me. I would have thought with all the various characters I've read about in ST-OM that he would have been a natural for you, Jay.

My first thought was Flagg if he hadn't made the choices that turned him into a bad guy.
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby Abrin Gos » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm not sure you can rename your character (unless it's on the part where you see your character, where you add or remove equipment. You can edit your characters biography, so there may be a rename button there. If not, they'll probaly allow you to rename them in an update or patch)
"Geronimo!"

The 11th Doctor

Formerly known as Lt Cmdr Garrison.
Abrin Gos
Captain
Captain

Postby Undead Jed » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:48 pm

I'm pretty sure you can't rename yourself. You can rename your new Bridge Officers (and your ship), but only once, along with a free costume change.
Undead Jed
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Postby JaceRidley » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:06 pm

Undead Jed wrote:I'm pretty sure you can't rename yourself. You can rename your new Bridge Officers (and your ship), but only once, along with a free costume change.

Actually you can rename your ships and bridge officers as often as you like, but it'll cost you credits.

That's magic in a cheetah print coat, Just a slip underneath it I hope
Asking if I can have one of those, Organic cigarettes that she smokes
Wraps her lips round the Mexican coke, Makes you wish that you were the bottle
Takes a sip of your soul and it sounds like…

JaceRidley
-The Captain-
-The Captain-

Postby jayphailey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:59 am

[quote="JMaxwell]When the fall is all that's left...it matters a great deal..[/quote]

Ummmm.... but... Dude. It's spring.

Seriously the way it works, as far as I have been able to figure is this -

There is a re-name dealie when you go to the character's screen. You can now re-name your main guy the same way as you rename your BOFFs -

However - this only affects certain screens and uses - the main name seems tied into the server somehow

There are supposed to be rename tickets or tokens or whatever that you can buy at the Cryptic Store - but this hasn't been posted yet.

I'll bet it will cost some money - like the old City of Heroes Server move tickets, maybe $10.00

But, like I said. Not posted yet.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby Abrin Gos » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:28 pm

I'm looking forward to being able to see more of the interior of my ship, and having off duty clothes for my character (and hopefully my bridge crew)
"Geronimo!"

The 11th Doctor

Formerly known as Lt Cmdr Garrison.
Abrin Gos
Captain
Captain

Postby Undead Jed » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:30 pm

I want to be able to see more of my ship too. The bridge is cool and all but I would love to be able to visit Main Engineering or the ship's lounge. One thing I loved from my days playing Star Wars Galaxies was the ability to buy and totally decorate houses. I think it would be awsome to be able to decorate your ready room or your quarters with trophies and such.
Undead Jed

Postby jayphailey » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:43 pm

Reminds me - there's a Thread on the STO forums - in the Game play - short term, middle term and long term requests

I want to ask for a "Crew Portrait Pose" mode for the bridge.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby jayphailey » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:04 pm

Hey UD Jed, this is a heck of an image. Who are these people and what's the story going on there?

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby Undead Jed » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks, Jay.

It's mine and my fiance's STO characters. Hopefully it appears as if they're sharing an intimate moment but in reality it's the two of us mashed together while I do the "No Way" emote. I got the idea when I realized he leans in slightly and raises his arms to about shoulder width and height when it's performed. You can't see much of the background in this one. It's either one of the random "paradise" looking planets during a mission or we're on Risa. I forget which. I had planned on writing something but work is busy at the moment and when I start daydreaming on the job that's usually when I get hurt. [-X
Undead Jed

Next

Return to Star Trek Online