SPD in STO

For discussion, images, etc., of the Star Trek Online RPG.

Moderator: jayphailey

SPD in STO

Postby CamSPD » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:34 am

My brother got me Star Trek Online for my birthday (today I am 31). I REALLY wanted this game, but I must admit to being kind of afraid of it. Video/computer games that are complicated are simply more than even my exceptional intellect can handle---I sometimes wonder how I ever got through three of the Resident Evil games.

Basically, I want badly to be able to play it, but am praying it isn't so overloaded with controls and sub-menus and whatnot that I give up on it for being too complicated for me.

Like, I want to be able to save screenshots so that I may eventually use them as illustrations for my fanfics. Jason said in one of his threads that all we should have to do is hit the printscreen button and it will save automatically to the STO folder, or something like that. Also, is it hard to control/maneuver the characters or ships? How hard/easy is the character creator?

Pointers from those of you playing the game would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!
Last edited by CamSPD on Mon May 10, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ah! She is a writer!"
We are free because of the brave.
CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Undead Jed » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:38 am

That's more or less what I'm doing. I take screenshots and then manipulate them as needed for the fiction I'm writing. Here are some samples of early character concepts for my crew. http://stpma.net/viewtopic.php?t=4248

It's entirely true. All you have to do is hit Print Screen and it saves a capture in a special folder for you within the STO directory and it automatically removes the User Interface for a clear, clutter free picture.

It's hard for me to say if it would be too complicated for you to play. To me it seems simple, but I've been playing video games since 1982. With STO there are two control schemes, one for ground and one for space. In space you can control the ship using the a, w, s, and d keys or you can use the mouse, steering by holding down the left and right mouse buttons. You'll have all your ship's "powers" (fire phasers, emergency power to shields, attack patern beta, etc.) loaded into a bar at the bottom of the screen and you can activate them either with a mouse click or by hitting the number it's keyed to depending on which method you use to steer yor ship. They make it a little easier by having the space bar fire all available energy weapons at once or alt+space to fire all available torpedos. The ground scheme is similar. You can make your character move with the a, w, s, and d keys or use the mouse in the same way as the ship. The shift key will make you sprint and the space bar will make you jump.

I don't know if you've played many MMOs. If you have, it's all pretty intuitive. There are a lot of different menus though, all of which can be accessed easily with a single key stroke if you can remember which opens which. J to bring up your mission logs, U to open up your party's profiles and inventory or I will just open the inventory. And some menues have additional tabs you'll have to navigate to in order allocate skill points or supply your party with gear and whatnot.

I hope that helps. If you have other questions feel free to ask. I play the game at least a little every day. Or if you decide to give it a try, you can look me up in game.
USS ERASMUS NCC-35627
"Nunquam Non Paratus"
Undead Jed
Senior Chief Petty Officer

Postby ambessalion » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:53 am

happy birthday sweetie :-D
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Postby CamSPD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:15 pm

Heh, never played an MMO before, though my brother's been trying to get me into Everquest for years---oddly enough, he did get our mother o all people into it, and I figure if she can do that, I should be able to do STO.

Well, I'm gonna give it a shot here in a few. Wish me luck.
"Ah! She is a writer!"
CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Undead Jed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:25 pm

Good luck. If you need help in game you can friend me. Johnston@Undead-Jed
USS ERASMUS NCC-35627
"Nunquam Non Paratus"
Undead Jed

Postby CamSPD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:36 pm

Ugh, I need a good handle for this thing... I dunno what to make mine!
"Ah! She is a writer!"
CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby CamSPD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:40 pm

Well, just decided to use te name ofone of my captains, Lindze Regan. Now only if they had Nebula-class starships for this game it would be perfect...
"Ah! She is a writer!"
CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Undead Jed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Yeah I was disappointed when I found out there were no Nebulas. In fact the game is kind of missing a lot of the well established ship classes in favor of somewhat altered versions of them and some entirely new ones mixed in.

What is your @name? Maybe I can find you.
USS ERASMUS NCC-35627
"Nunquam Non Paratus"
Undead Jed

Postby CamSPD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:08 pm

I haven't downloaded the game yet, but I'm about to. Just got done establishing my account, and I posted a question in the forums about the Neb.

My "handle" is Lindze_Regan. I guess the @ would be the account name? if so then I would be Lindze_Regan@CamSPD
"Ah! She is a writer!"
CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby JM1776 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:09 pm

Keep us apprised. I look forward to hearing your impressions and about your experiences.
The fascination with zombies in modern entertainment has a great deal to do with the fact that most of us are precisely that.
JM1776
Federation Ambassador
Federation Ambassador

Postby Undead Jed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:11 pm

Cam, the screenshots will be saved in a folder wherever your STO files are located. I'm not sure about Vista but for me (Windows 7) its...

C:\Users\Public\Games\Cryptic Studios\Star Trek Online\Live\screenshots
USS ERASMUS NCC-35627
"Nunquam Non Paratus"
Undead Jed

Postby CamSPD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:40 pm

I tried that and it actually worked for me, too.

Thus far, I like it a lot. I'm having some difficulty getting used to controlling my character and my ship, like I go to turn her/it and it goes farther than I want it to. But I am sure I will get used to how it works. Been using the letter keys because using the mousepad on my lappy just ain't cutting it. Oh, and apparently I'm still in the tutorial and haven't actually gone on a mission yet, but it sure as heck felt like it! I mean, I was taken out---or 'incapacitated'---by the Borg two times on the USS Khitomer (which is a Sovereign, in case anyone cares to know).

Right now I'm on the USS Pathfinder, which appears to be a Miranda-class ship. I might change the name to Columbia, as in my lovely little Trekverse, there was a Miranda-class Columbia. :)

And here are my captain, Lindze Regan, and the first bridge officer I earned, Thryissa zh'Tharian (the sister of my Andorian/Aenar security officer, perhaps?):

Linzde Regan

I chose that haircut because it covers the tips of her ears. I'd have loved to make them slightly pointy, because the fanfic character I based her on has a Vulcan grandmother, but I didn't know if I could, so she's listed as being Human. I'd also like to make her look more like Susanna Thompson, but I dunno if that's even possible.

Thryissa zh'Tharian

The suggested name for the character, my Bridge Tactical Officer, was Thryiss. I just added the a at the end and a surname, and changed her appearance. Might lighten her skin color if possible. Hope to be able to put this uniform on Lindze at some point, as this is the Nemesis-era uniform that my fanfic characters wear.

What do you think of what they look like?
"Ah! She is a writer!"
CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Undead Jed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Nice. :)

You'll be able to put the Nemesis uniform on your character too. There's a Cardassian tailor at Earth Spacedock. If you really want the pointy ears you can remake the character as 'alien'. That opens up pretty much every option available. You could have Vulcan ears, a Klingon's forehead ridges, a Bojoran nose, and Bolian stripes... if you wanted.
USS ERASMUS NCC-35627
"Nunquam Non Paratus"
Undead Jed

Postby CamSPD » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:48 pm

Oh, kuul. Do I just change her species when I do that, or would I have to completely redo the character?
"Ah! She is a writer!"
CamSPD
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Undead Jed » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:11 pm

Unfortunately you'd have to start over if you want to change your race. On the other hand you are still in the tutorial. :P
USS ERASMUS NCC-35627
"Nunquam Non Paratus"
Undead Jed

Next

Return to Star Trek Online