Having some trouble - Account Name?

For discussion, images, etc., of the Star Trek Online RPG.

Moderator: jayphailey

Having some trouble - Account Name?

Postby KahlessOfVulcan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:09 pm

I finally have access to a computer I can play STO on, but I'm having some trouble getting set up. I went here to register:

https://register.perfectworld.com/sto_splash

I notice that the "Display Name" box has an annotation stating that my display name cannot be the same as my Account Name. Okay...so I filled out the registration, got my activation email and went here to login:

https://my.perfectworld.com/sto/?going_ ... eemkey/sto

Here's the problem. The registration form has no place to fill in an "Account Name" and says my display name has to be different from this mysterious Account Name, but the login form asks only for an Account Name! I tried my display name and, as the note said, it didn't work. I also tried recovering my account name here:

https://secure.crypticstudios.com/start ... ot_account

No luck. What am I doing wrong? I haven't received an Account Recovery email despite being told it has been sent. Where am I supposed to create this Account Name, and with who? Do I need to install the game client first?

I would really appreciate any help you guys could offer. Please let me know if you have any information.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)
KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Having some trouble - Account Name?

Postby Captain Marshal » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:20 pm

As I understand it, you need a perfectworld account. That's the information you'll be using to sign in to STO. It caused me considerable problems too when I started but I worked at it until it worked.

You register yourself on PerfectWorld, then you make sure everything is confirmed. You sign in using the account name which is different from your display name (Game name). You use that account name, the one you used with your registration. Or you can use your email and the password you registered with.
Always fight for the dream of a better tomorrow, one that future generations will be proud to inherit.
Any dream worthy of fighting for is worth dying for. But anything worth dying for is also worth LIVING for.
Never stop fighting back the darkness or else it will overwhelm you. Faith Manages.
Captain Marshal
Commander
Commander

Postby AdmiralSirJohn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:19 am

And yes, you do need to install the game client first, since it is on that launcher's screen where you put in your account name and password. The stuff on the website is for the forums there.
(Yes, the image is me, but the photomanip wasn't done by me.)
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Postby KahlessOfVulcan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:13 am

Okay, I've found the PerfectWorld registration form. Thanks, Captain Marshal!

And yes, you do need to install the game client first, since it is on that launcher's screen where you put in your account name and password. The stuff on the website is for the forums there.

I realize that, thanks. :) I had to use another computer for a bit so I wanted to register and have a look around the forums while I was away from the computer I will be playing on.

Thanks a lot, John and Marshal! :)

EDIT: Okay, that's all sorted out. Captain Logan Locklear will soon be ready to go where lots of gamers have gone before. I guess you're supposed to have a PerfectWorld account before you get started, which seems odd but whatever. I've figured it out now. Thanks again for the help!
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)
KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby AdmiralSirJohn » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Cool! Maybe we can take another stab at starting a fleet for STPMA members (Working name is "The Manipulators", but I'm open to change if someone has an idea for something better).
(Yes, the image is me, but the photomanip wasn't done by me.)
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Return to Star Trek Online