ST: CITADEL - Interlude, "The Gift"

A place to post ideas, casting, ships, images, and stories for the ST: CITADEL shared-universe.

Moderator: Michael

Forum rules
For discussion of ideas, casting, ships, images, and stories of the ST: CITADEL shared-universe. Please observe all requests by thread originators concerning the level of feedback/critique they seek. (11/15/16 - I have received a request to lock this subforum. If there is a desire to unlock it again, please contact me by PM. Thanks. - Michael)
AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Re: ST: CITADEL - Interlude, "The Gift"

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:17 pm

Here's the cover image:

(Yes, the image is me, but the photomanip wasn't done by me.)

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Nice work, John. I really like that Am... oh, I can't remember the class of the ship.

Let's just say that the Sentinel looks really cool there, my friend. Keep up the great and awesome work, sir.

And Merry Christmas. \Y/ (\gorn/) ::bow::
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

amehatrekkie
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

Post by amehatrekkie » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:39 pm

i like how you combine christmas and the intarran eqivalent :-)
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:05 pm

Ah, I can already see the tree on the Ernst Ruska decorated with care in the hope that Saint Nick will drop the crew off something neat. :D

There's no room on the Espero for the Christmas tree but Ikar does encourage Secret Santa with her crew.

Anyways, I'd love to see the Intaran equivalent. \Y/
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché
Location: Aboard USS Marshal Martz, NCC-78506 (though physically in Jamestown, NY)

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:47 am

Well, the Marshal Martz doesn't have an "official ship's tree", but those who celebrate usually decorate one of the trees in the arboretum.

Anyway, here's the next piece:
It was a short walk from the turbolift to the lounge they called The Opera House. It wasn’t the first time either of them had looked out on Intar from the expansive windows of a Nottingham class ship, but what they saw out there this time was different.

There, in the light of the Intaran sun, was a starship, close enough for the two Intarans to see that it bore both Federation and Intaran script upon it.

“Gentlemen,” Yineth said, “behold the Sentinel.”

Sentinel?” Kodo asked. “I’m not familiar with that word.”

“It’s a soldier,” Rentoshi explained, “assigned to watch a place. In ancient times, they were the protectors of cities.”

“A Picketman.”

“Essentially. The word isn’t common in Nectem.”

“It’s not real common in Bajoran, either. The Universal Translator initially rendered it as 'protector', but that was too general a term. There’s someone aboard who’d like to meet you. If you’ll come with me, we’ll head over.”

The captain led the two big men over to the center of the lounge, where a ramp led down to a large airlock door, which was open. Beyond, they found a small craft docked, with a large window at the front.

Yineth keyed a short series of commands into the small panel next to the open doors, which puffed closed as he stepped to the front of the craft.

“We call this a travel pod,” he explained, laying his hands gently on the controls. “They’re used mainly for inspections, but we can do crew transfers with them, as well.”

A moment later, there was a slight jolt as the pod detached from the Ernst Ruska.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:15 pm

I like it! :yhoo:

Great work, John. \Y/

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:34 am

Switching back to the quest for the perfect tree...
Instead of the tree farm they expected, Rina and M’Rowri found themselves materializing in one of the Blount Island’s transporter rooms.

“I hope you don’t mind,” Captain Dominic Baier said, “but I was just about to beam down to confer with you.”

“Not a problem, Skipper,” the Caitian engineer answered. “Have you met Mrs. Rentoshi?”

“I haven’t had the pleasure. Welcome aboard, Ma’am.”

“Thank you, Captain. To be honest, this is my first time aboard a starship, despite my husband having been assigned to several of our explorers.”

“Then we’ll need to give you the full tour.”

“Would that we had time,” Rina answered, “but I suspect you’re a very busy man, and the Commander and I are on an errand.”

“That’s right, the tree. You’ll need a saw.”

“I assumed they’d have one at the tree farm,” M’Rowri replied, “but now that you mention it, a chainsaw would work better. Let me go replicate one.”

“You’ll also need a jacket, Commander,” the transporter chief added. “It’s minus fourteen in that part of Kentar.”

“I did warn you,” Rina said, indicating her own lined coat.

“So you did. I’ll be right back.”

Rina turned to Baier. “Captain, I’m told you humans have a celebration similar to our Renewal Festival. When I mentioned a decorated tree, Bob mentioned it. Are you familiar with it?”

“You mean Christmas? Oh, yes. It’s quite commonly observed, especially amongst Earth-humans and Magna Romans.”

“Bob said it began as a religious observance.”

“Yes, it commemorates the birth of Jesus Christ, purportedly the son of God, that is, a manifestation of humanity’s primary deity in human form.”

“Interesting. Our own legends tell of such a person. In past centuries, religion was rather pervasive amongst my people, Captain, but once we knew we weren’t alone…”

“That seems to be the pattern, Ma’am.”

“Oh, please, Captain. Call me Rina.”

“Only if you call me Dominic.”

“Very well. Anyway, in Kentari culture, Renewal is a time of new beginnings. Outstanding debts are paid, if possible, relationships renewed, commitments remade. The tree symbolizes life itself, and how it renews from year to year and generation to generation. And, we give gifts to remind each other how precious the relationships we’re renewing are.”

“That sounds more like the Tet than Christmas, or perhaps the Turkish tradition. Turkey is a country on Earth that adopted the symbols of Christmas, though not the religious aspects. It’s quite popular there.”

“Interesting. Captain, would you be interested in attending a Renewal party?”

“I’d be delighted.”

“Good! I’ll contact you with the details, once they’re all worked out.”

Just then, M’Rowri returned, carrying a small chainsaw and wearing a standard-issue cold-weather jacket. “So what was it you needed to confer with me about, Skipper?”

“Oh, it’s a request for another hospital. I wanted to discuss site planning with you and the local leaders.”

“This shouldn’t take me too long. I’ll let you know when I’m done.”

“That’ll be fine. Rina, it was a pleasure meeting you, and I look forward to when I can give you the full tour.”

“I too, Dominic.”
More to come.

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:38 pm

And here's the next piece:
The travel pod gently backed into place, and the three men heard and felt the muffled clunk of the docking latches engaging.

“We’re here,” Yineth announced.

“Thank you for bringing us over, Captain,” Kodo replied, “and thank you for the exterior tour.”

“It was my pleasure, Prime Councilor.”

He then stepped to the back of the pod and triggered the hatch release, allowing the doors to open. Beyond, in the small lounge onto which the hatch opened, they found a gaggle of press, both Intaran and Federation. There were also a number of people in Starfleet uniforms.

“United World of Intar, Arriving,” the computer announced, just before the youngest of the Starfleet personnel blew a long, whistling note on an unusually-shaped pipe, alternating it with a higher note. As he did so, the other people in uniform snapped to attention.

Not knowing Federation protocol in such a situation, Kodo addressed the only person he did recognize.

“Request permission to come aboard, Admiral Mecum.”

“Granted, Prime Councilor,” Mecum replied, stepping forward to shake hands with Kodo. “Welcome aboard the Sentinel.”

“Thank you. I believe you know General Rentoshi, the commander of Gwalior Base.”

Mecum repeated the gesture with the general. “Of course. It’s a pleasure to finally meet with you in person.”

“The pleasure is mine, Admiral.”

“And this is Captain Sloe, temporarily in command.”

The two Intarans blinked. “Forgive me,” Kodo asked, “but did you say Captain Slow?”

“Yes, it’s an unfortunate pun that the universal translator perpetuates,” the captain, whose face bore an unusual mottling pattern down its sides. “In Trill society, we take the name of our symbiont when we’re joined. Thus, Captain Erias Sloe.”

“Do forgive us, Captain,” Rentoshi said, shaking the Trill’s hand. “There is a children’s satire about a driver known as Captain Slow.”

“I take no offense, General Rentoshi.”

“Captain Sloe is here to assist in training your people to crew the Sentinel, which is a gift to the people of Intar from the Federation.”

“The Federation has been nothing if not generous,” Kodo said, “but I think you’ve exceeded your generosity this time. You never gave the Bajorans a starship.”

“This is true,” Mecum answered, “but then, unlike the Tzenkethi, the Cardassians left Bajor’s shipbuilding capability intact. But we can discuss that later. Right now, I think a tour of the ship is in order…”
More to come...

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:59 pm

Captain Sloe?! Captain Sloe?! :shock:

LOL! ROTFLMAO!!! :[]] :[]]

I like it! No, I love it! Erias Sloe will be awesome. I like this, John. Keep up the great work because I can't wait to see where this goes.

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:00 am

Neither can I, really...

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:02 am

Well, let me know if you need help. I'd be happy to bounce around a few ideas. \Y/

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:04 am

Bounce away.

I suspect we'll be meeting Rentoshi's daughter and her family in the next section...

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:08 am

Were you still using the violinist that you introduced me to? Or do you need an older actress for the daughter?

"Geronimo!"

AdmiralSirJohn
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by AdmiralSirJohn » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:12 am

I think we'll still use her. Thinking someone like Apolo Ohno for her husband.

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Post by captainuniverse » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:19 am

He definitely works for ya. Do they have kids?

I'm also wondering if this would be the time that Yineth Lerra comes to Intar. Maybe she's a member of the Starfleet crew assigned to the Sentinel while they teach the Intarans how to run her? :-k ):(

"Geronimo!"