[DECK 01: Bridge]

The Star Trek: Sovereign RPG. To join, please contact Joshawott via PM.

Moderators: jayphailey, Joshawott

Forum rules
1.) This is a game, and games are made to be fun. Please do not post any material which may offend others or disrupt the flow of the game.
2.) Communication over comm should be located within brackets [ ]. Out of character or OOC comments should be located within parentheses ( ). Telepathic communications, thoughts, emphasis, and starship names should be italicized.
3. Players are expected to post in-character at least once a week. If there is time needed off, please contact Joshawott, so he can place your character on a leave of absence.
4. Leave posts open-ended for someone else to easily reply to.
5.) HAVE FUN!!!

Re: [DECK 01: Bridge]

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:35 pm

Riojj glanced back at the human, McCormack, standing at the tactical console--one of the few names of the bridge staff she remembered. Her dark eyes cold and expression kept purposefully neutral.

"I know," she told him simply, before turning back to her read outs.

Humans were an odd bunch, the shining example of the idealism and optimism of the Federation--how they hadn't been eradicated was a mystery to her.

A buzz from her datalink told her that the ship was monitoring a communication signal, she checked the display and saw it connect between the Cardassian and Klingon ships. They were using a complex encryption algorithm, one that would takes hours to crack, though she doubted it would remain active for her to work on for that long.

With the Captains order to engage, she focused instead on the forward sensors, watching as streams of contradictory data on the temporal field flooded in.
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby KahlessOfVulcan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Mike rolled his eyes at Riojj's cold response and turned his attention back towards Arlat, who seemed to be behaving so far.

Mike wasn't sure what to make of Lieutenant Riojj. Was her pitch-perfect impersonation of a Vulcan meant for him especially, or was she that way with everyone? So far, Mike couldn't tell. He tried to be friendly and polite, but she always gave him the cold shoulder. He hadn't even flirted with her - at least, not more than once or twice. I hope I haven't offended her, he thought.

Mike shook his head and tried to focus. Back on track, Mikey boy. It won't do to be busy thinkin' about a pretty missus when something goes wrong, he chided himself.

Partly to ease his boredom and partly to keep focused, Mike decided to send a text-only message to Kriegel's console.

[All clear over there? Let me know if you find something for me to shoot at.]

(Josh, is that how I should handle written messages or would you prefer I used a different mark-up?)
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)
KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Joshawott » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Joshua was aware that Zaeryn's disposition was somewhat abnormal to most, but he didn't mind if she was an outstanding Ops officer. He didn't know or ask if her talent was natural, or somewhat influenced by her data port. It didn't necessarily matter, for lack of better words. Whatever got the job done. Lieutenant Riojj, however, got the job done exceptionally.

Either his Casanova tactical officer was unaware that his little message could be seen by the captain, or he didn't care, but it sure did create a little blip on the small station connected to his armrest. Seeing this as a chance to joke with his banter buddy, the Captain called out, "Lieutenant Riojj, will you please give Arlat a run-down on how to operate our computer interface?"

While the Ferengi would need to know how to actually take scans, it was an opportunity to prevent his Boslic friend from replying to the message McCormack had sent. Maybe she had seen the message in time, or her dataport allowed her access, but she didn't say a word about it. Just before she rose from her station, Joshua had the time to type, [I love it when you pretend to be professional, babe.]

Unable to control his grin, he turned his head to the Lieutenant, watching his reaction to the message.

(It's perfectly fine :) )
Whatever it is, it feels like it's staring at me through the glass of a two-sided mirror. Whatever it is, it's just sitting' there, laughing at me.

I request Level 3 Critique on anything in the Critique section. :D

If you wish to join the Star Trek: Sovereign story, please PM me!
Joshawott
RPG-GM
RPG-GM

Location: Aboard the USS Sovereign, headquartered in the Beta Volvino system.

Postby KahlessOfVulcan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Mike Realized too late that he had forgotten to use his private override code to message Kriegel, meaning not only could Captain Dawnter see it...but so could Lieutenant Riojj. While he was grateful the message was nothing outrageous, he could only imagine Riojj would be less than impressed by his desire to "shoot at something."

A moment later, he noticed the flirtatious message Captain Dawnter had just sent Riojj.

[I love it when you pretend to be professional, babe.]

Mike coughed to avoid saying something stupid and looked first at Riojj and then at Captain Dawnter, who was looking at Mike with a "gotcha" grin and a mischievous glint in his eye. Mike slowly and deliberately rolled his eyes and shook his head.

Trying desperately to avoid laughing out loud, Mike turned his attention back to his station. He wondered if Dawnter and Riojj really were in a relationship or if the whole thing really was just to tease him. He wasn't sure which idea bothered him more, that they might be dating or if Riojj gave him the cold shoulder just because deep inside she thought it was funny.

An urgent alert on Mike's console put a stop to his thoughts on that subject.

"Skipper, looks like we might have a problem. I'm reading a minor shield fluctuation on our starboard side," he reported.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby captainuniverse » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:33 pm

He saw the problem before he even heard the intercom. [Bridge to Engineering.]

[Tam here, Captain.]

[Mike just recorded a --]

[Yes, yes, I'm already on it. It's a minor fluctuation. I'm diverting power from auxiliary to compensate. Shouldn't be a problem.]

Tam could hear Dawnter sigh. [Are you sure because--]

Eight hundred years of experience and he doubts me?, Gallen thought, rolling his eyes. I was out here when his grandfather was still making boom-booms in his diapers.

[I'm sure, Captain.] Gallen looked over his readings and the fluctuation was already compensating, but the frequency seemed to be out of flux with the rest of the ship.

Hmm...

Tam looked over at his assistant chief engineer, Lieutenant Huxil, qnd gestured for him. The brawy Denobulan trodded over from the plasma monitoring console, a grin on his face.

"What's up, Chief?"

"Take a look at this."

Huxil looked at it and frowned. "You don't see it, do you? The chroniton radiation?"

Gallen released a deep breath, balking at him. "Chroniton radiation? Eight hundred years of experience and knowledge... you'd think I'd learn something about temporal science... Oh, wait, Kerbal did, but he made it up as he went along."

His assistant just stared, his smile disappearing. "Are you done?"

"Never stop me when I'm on a roll!" He tapped his combadge. [Tam to Bridge. We think we might be getting some chroniton radiation where we have that shield fluctuation. We're checking it out but someone should let the medics know.]
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:17 pm

Riojj had to roll her eyes at McCormack’s attempt to flirt with her. When it came to sex she never beat around the bush, if she had an itch she scratched it, with whoever was on hand—she did have to admit, for a human, the Security Chief was rather handsome (though if they did end up in bed together, it’d definitely be a night he’d remember). The slightest hint of a smirk tugged the right corner of her lips, but was quickly wiped away.

[All clear over there? Let me know if you find something for me to shoot at.]

Men, always thinking about their torpedo launchers, she scoffed as the text message flashed on her screen.

Before she could tap out a response, Captain Dawnter called out from behind her, "Lieutenant Riojj, will you please give Arlat a run-down on how to operate our computer interface?"

She felt her stomach sink at the thought of having to have any direct contact with the Ferengi. They always smelt a little damp and musty to her, not surprising given the prevalence of rain on their homeworld, and all those she’d met leered and pawed at her—though granted, they didn’t do that so much after a hand bone or two were broken.

[I love it when you pretend to be professional, babe.]

The message from the Captain summed him up in her mind. She was new to the Sovereign, only two weeks onboard after he’d poached her from the U.S.S. Red Cloud, in which time Dawnter had been more friendly and open than any other human (or Commanding Officer) she’d ever known, all of which seemed genuine and without the hint of trying to flirt with her. It had completely thrown her, to the point of she couldn’t get a clear read on the man: was he actually that friendly, or was he lulling her into a false sense of security in order to knock her down? Having someone with her track record on one of the most powerful ships in Starfleet was a big risk for him.

She rose from her console, leaving the dataport attached to keep her linked, and sauntered over to the Ferengi, Arlat, taking a deep breath before she got too close to him.

“Hello Lieutenant,” the Ferengi stated excitedly, looking her straight in the eye, a gnarled, toothy smile on his orange face.

“Mister Arlat,” she replied in her customary gravely monotone. She quickly bent over his console and started to run through the LCARS system with the little troll, which he listened too intently, watching everything she pointed out, hands place squarely on the console top. He nodded enthusiastically, experimenting with a few controls as she gave him the brief lecture. When she was finished she worried his head might fall off with all the nodding he was doing.

“Thank you, thank you, Lieutenant. It has been most helpful.”

“Um…you’re welcome,” she replied, scowling slightly as he set to work on the Starfleet control board.

She was starting to wonder if she’d lost her appeal, since their misogynistic guest wasn’t fawning all over her, but as she straightened up she glanced over her shoulder and spotted a few pairs of eyes shifting away from her posterior. Nope, still got it, she mused. Perhaps Arlat was merely one of those that embraced the emancipation of females on his homeworld, or just wasn’t into Boslic—either way, she didn’t have to worry about being reprimanded for sending an official representative to sickbay…yet, at least.

A vibration from the datalink alerted her the second it did McCormack, their shields were draining. Leaving Arlat, she swiftly made her way back to ops and started reviewing their systems and those of their little task force.
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Joshawott » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:36 am

Ignoring the rather peculiar conversation behind him between a stone-cold Riojj and the happy-go-lucky Arlat, Joshua remained in his chair, an unstoppable chuckle emerging from his mouth. He didn't run a tight ship, but the crew knew that things were to be executed at peak efficiency. They were on a basis of respect, which Dawnter believed to be a combination of admiration and commanding. He kept a healthy balance, but sometimes he had to overstep his boundaries and raise the commanding element of his captaincy.

But of course, screwing with time had to interrupt his fun. The smile cleared his face and he stood in curiosity.

The conversation in engineering seamed to only heighten his paranoia that had been dulled by the recent horseplay on his bridge. There was no mistake... chroniton radiation.

"Red alert! McCormack, shields at maximum, do not let a single particle touch my hull!" The wide-eyed Captain called back.

He tapped his combadge fervently, contacting engineering once again, [Tam, devise a way to expel the chronitons, neutralize them if you have to. I need modifications immediately.]

[Doctor, we're being affected by chroniton radiation, please prepare for possible ship-wide injuries. Have the auxiliary sickbay manned.]

"Lieutenant Riojj, contact the other vessels and check their status, send them all available data on the radiation."

"Kriegel, Arlat, I want a complete analysis, now! Every piece of tele-

Captain Dawnter did not have time to finish his sentence, or thought for that matter. There was a peculiar sensation accompanied by a blinding white light, the sensation of moving, but he was still; like energy flowing through the fabric of his body. Was this what time travel felt like? If so, it didn't last long. The energy's momentum seemed to full forward at a stop, similar to the phantom movement you feel after getting off a swing set.

The light was gone, and he could see the panicked faces of his crew. "I tried to tell Starfleet... YOU DON'T SCREW WITH TIME!" He slammed his fist onto the armrest of his chair, swiveling violently into the padding. "Does anybody have the time?"

There was a rather loud facepalm.
Whatever it is, it feels like it's staring at me through the glass of a two-sided mirror. Whatever it is, it's just sitting' there, laughing at me.

Joshawott
RPG-GM
RPG-GM

Postby captainuniverse » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:42 am

Tam tried to respond to the Captain's wishes but he was thrown to the deck. Falling on his side, the Trill chexked himself before returnin to his feet.

"Check the warp core!," he barked, heading to the situation table in the middle of Engineering. His peooke affectionately called it," The Game Table". "Check the shields for any more chroniton hot flashes."

"Hot flashes?," asked one of his engineers.

"Merely a technical term, darling," Tam said, smiling briefing at the ginger-haired ensign. "This ship is a grand lady and I think of her like one. Isn't that right, sexy?" He stroked a hand rest affectionately, his eyes on his monitor.

"The chronitons appear to rise quicker as we get deeper into te anomaly," he muttered. A few seconds later, he whispered," Damn!"

[Tam to Bridge!]

[Dawnter here. What hit us!]

[Compressed chronitons, and our shields are the only things keeping us from being ripped apart.]

[Recommendations, Tam?]

[How about a blood U-turn for starters? You don't necessarily enter an anomaly without launching a --]

[Yes, yes, Commander. Keep the ship going, Gallen. Bridge out.]

Tam sighed, rolling his eyes. He began rolling up his sleeves, his eyes looking towarda the ginget ensign. "Time to be brilliant, Ensign. Let's get to it."
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:14 am

Riojj had just started to reach for the companel when the brilliant light filled the bridge. Being Boslic, her eyes were more sensitive to the glare, so she shut them tightly but could still see it through her closed lids. A searing jolt of pain stabbed into her neck, right where the dataport was, scolding every nerve it was connected to and prickled through her brain, but she gritted her teeth and bore the brunt of the feedback--as a Net-Girl, it had been something a couple of her more unpleasant clients enjoyed inflicting on her.

As soon as the flash was over she opened her eyes. Her knuckles were white as they gripped the edge of the console, there was the faint hint of singed metal, and she felt a trickle run down her neck. She dabbed at it and saw her own scarlet blood, which meant the damage to her port was worse than she'd expected. Picking the fried link off the console and slipping it into her pocket, she kept on top of the lingering pain, focusing on what all her displays were telling her.

The external comm system was nothing but garbled white noise, the sensors provided little more than that--though she was able to determine that there were still three ships beside them.

"I tried to tell Starfleet... YOU DON'T SCREW WITH TIME!" Dawnter roared from behind her, a sound she had never heard (or even suspected could) come from the man. "Does anybody have the time?"

Riojj glanced at the ship's chronometer. Unlike the comm and sensors, it wasn't garbled or confused, it was blank.
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby KahlessOfVulcan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:33 pm

Mike looked around the bridge in an attempt to locate the source of the blinding white light, but had no luck. The light seemed to come from everywhere and nowhere. Failing to find any clues to explain just what the hell was going on, Mike turned back to his console but found it less than helpful, as its systems were garbled and confused.

Mike was trying to pry some useful information out of his console when he heard a sharp gasp of pain from Riojj. Looking over he saw that her eyes were shut tightly and her lips were locked in a grimace. Before he could say anything, though, Riojj opened her eyes and seemed to be alright.

A moment later, Captain Dawnter shouted, "I tried to tell Starfleet... YOU DON'T SCREW WITH TIME!"

Mike nodded in silent agreement and looked back at Lieutenant Riojj, this time noticing a red line of blood trickling down her neck from her data port.

"Zaeryn, you're bleeding. Are you gonna be okay?"

It wasn't just concern for Zaeryn's well-being that prompted him. He needed to know if she could perform her duties.
Last edited by KahlessOfVulcan on Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:44 pm

As the blood from her neck wound soaked her uniform collar, she glanced back at McCormack.

"It's nothing, Lieutenant," she told him.

His enquiry however brought a few more looks at her, their eyes noticing the bright blood against her pale neck. She scowled at an overly-nosey ensign, as she spun around from her console and quickly moved to the aft MSD display. With their ability to determine what was happening outside the ship compromised, she was focused on trying to see just where the damage was and bypass it enough to be useful (then leave it to Commander Tam and his people to fix the actual malfunction)--a problem she could at least solve, seeing as how the dead chronometer was another matter altogether.

I'd need to get into the core and check the entire system from its baseline code, then go through it line by line, before checking the actual chips and then the rest of the systems, she diagnosed, whilst picking two secondary ODN junctures to shunt all the primary sensor and communications controls through--which would most likely cause them to burn out, but it'd be enough to give them external readings before that happened.

Decision made, she headed back to her post. As she passed McCormack, he looked up from his own diagnostics and their eyes locked for a moment, before his flicked to her still bleeding dataport. She didn't pause and was back at ops in a moment, ready to give the engineers a few more headaches.
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby KahlessOfVulcan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:29 pm

Mike met Riojj's eyes as she passed. Seeing the confidence inher gaze, he felt reassured she could carry on. Assuming she intended to whip the computer back into shape, he didn't even bother asking or telling her what she should do. More than anything, she probably needed a quiet moment to think without hearing his irritating voice badgering her for answers. He knew she'd come through.

"There's not much I can tell you, Skipper," Mike reported. "According to the chronometer, it's...no time at all, whatever that means. Our shields are still up, I think. The other ships are still out there, but it's hard to say what kind of state they're in. I'd offer to hail them, but communications are down. I think."

Mike glanced over at Arlat, who was looking around with an expression of mild panic. Sensing he'd get no help from the Ferengi, he looked to Kriegel next.

"Hey Adam, do you have any ideas?" he asked.

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby captainuniverse » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:54 pm

"Time's... stopped?," Gallen muttered, his attention on the structural integrity sensors. He had increased power to the Structural Integrity Field and the shields, but chronitons were still leaking on board.

"Damn..."

[Tam to Bridge.] No response.

[Tam to Dawnter.] Again, no response.

"Great! Communications are down!"

"Geronimo!"

captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby Joshawott » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:47 pm

(Please reply to the newest topic. Cap, you'll have more opportunities now!)

Joshawott
RPG-GM
RPG-GM

Postby ambessalion » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:45 pm

Kriegel had to use all his self control not to laugh at McCormack’s and the Captain's flirations with the Riojj. He would have as well but having studied their culture, he knew that they would hook up with anyone whenever they were in the mood to so he he didnt have to make any effort to "get in her pants" as the ancient phrase went.

He just had a slight smile and kept scanning the ships.
Ahmie K-[ay][aka Adam Kriegel], Captain of the Department of Weird yea i'm weird
STPMA WORLDBUILDING EXPERT[ RIP MJ!!] Normal people scare meAging is inevitable, maturity is optional
https://imgur.com/a/bUvNm
ambessalion
-the weird one-
-the weird one-

PreviousNext

Return to Star Trek Sovereign