Re: [DECK 7: Main Sickbay]

The Star Trek: Sovereign RPG. To join, please contact Joshawott via PM.

Moderators: jayphailey, Joshawott

Forum rules
1.) This is a game, and games are made to be fun. Please do not post any material which may offend others or disrupt the flow of the game.
2.) Communication over comm should be located within brackets [ ]. Out of character or OOC comments should be located within parentheses ( ). Telepathic communications, thoughts, emphasis, and starship names should be italicized.
3. Players are expected to post in-character at least once a week. If there is time needed off, please contact Joshawott, so he can place your character on a leave of absence.
4. Leave posts open-ended for someone else to easily reply to.
5.) HAVE FUN!!!

Postby AlyssaJaneway2 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:50 pm

Chief Medical officer's log: Reporting in.
I have successfully boarded the USS Sovereign. I am told we are headed to an uncharted region of space where anomalies plague normal space-time." She smiled at the thought of a space-time epidemic. " I almost envy my former crew mates who are on their way to a nice, calm evening of boarder patrol. But this is where I am needed. I applied, and I received the job, now it is time to get to work."

Doctor Ramak Kala, an academy graduate, was more strict with protocol than she lead individuals to believe. After recording her boarding log, she headed for the medical bay. There was no time to waste. The crew was headed for a dangerous part of space, and She needed to have sick-bay ready for any and all medical needs. Kala zipped her turquoise tunic and donned the appropriate uniform jacket- gray, padded work attire jacket, and withdrew from her standard crew quarters.

Moments later Dr. Ramak found her self adjusting her comm-badge while awaiting the end of her turbolift ride. She considered the turbo lift a luxury and would have opted for the Jeffrey tubes if time wasn't a factor in her arriving to sickbay. However, it was crucial that she arrive in an orderly manner. A swish of the doors completed her twenty second ride and placed her on deck 7, forward section.
" Now remember: Deck 7, forward section. Make a left turn at the intersection and keep straight. You can't miss it," Kala recalled, as the accented voice of her former captain filled her thoughts. "I wonder how he knows where the medical bay is..." Before she realized it, Kala had made the left turn at the intersection and was facing a dead end corridor. Captain Lynde was right about one thing- no one could 'miss' it.

At the end of the corridor, carved into the bulk head, were two glass entrances covered in the standard medical symbols. One of those doors, the left one, lead into the Doctor's office, which adjoined sick bay. The other lead into the medical triage facility. Inside that particular door were medical staff members hard at work with the routine cases. The hard work of dedicated medics put a light smile on the Doctor's face. Kala was glad that the transition from one medical team to another would be to one that appeared to put the crew's health above all other concerns. Per protocol, Doctor Ramak was suppose to meet with the captain before hand, but the current circumstances allowed her to waver in that duty. Kala headed straight for her office.

The lingering smell of antiseptics and the blast of frigid air offered a familiar presence as the doctor sat down at her bare desk. Kala was aware that the Sovereign had been without a CMO for some time, but that didn't explain the appearance of the doctor's office. A stack of reports was placed by the Medical monitors, and a coat hanger greeted others at the door. Besides that, the room, desk, and walls were completely void of non-essentials.
The perfect doctor's office?

" Nurse!" Kala needed a current status report of the medical facilities on-board, and the only one who knew that was her head nurse,Tari Akohr.

A rumble of the decking was a sign that the nurse heard Dr. Ramak and that Nurse Akohr was responding.

" Yes, doctor?" a deeply strong voice inquired from the door.

" Please, come in." Kala stood and signaled a seat. " I would prefer it if we could discuss the current status of the ship's medical facilities."

" Of course doctor," Nurse Akohr complied as she took a rather rough seat in-front of the doctor's desk. "We're currently hosting a Ferengi, name of Mr. Arlat. The main medical bay is preparing for the trip through the anomaly. All other facilities are on stand-by, awaiting your orders."

Dr. Ramak slid onto the top of the desk and began reading over the status report left from the previous shift. " It seems here, that Mr. Arlat, was it, did not come in for his standard medical review. I am sure that was an over site of the duty nurse and the second in command of this ship."

Akohr straightened her posture. " I'm sure it was. I take full responsibility for the oversight."

Dr. Ramak cleared the last padd and looked over her head nurse. "I am not interested in assigning blame, Nurse. I am interested in doing my job to the best of my ability. When small over sights, such as these are made, it creates a problem with my ability to effectively treat the members of this crew." Ramak took a deep breath and returned to her cloth seat behind the desk. " Make sure this mistake is not repeated. Dismissed."

Though blunt she was, the Doctor had a point. Per chance something were to happen to Mr. Arlat, what readings would she have to refer to? None! They were never taken.

The Brikarian nurse stomped out of the office in a rush. The doctor had been there all of thirty minutes and was already coming down hard on the medical staff. Akohr doubted this wouldn't be the last of it...

The trip through the anomaly was far from a smooth ride. Dr. Ramak had gathered most of her triage nurses in the main medical bay for ease of access in case of an emergency situation, and she was right to do so. Moments later a bright light filled the room and impulsively everyone closed their eyes. A jerk of the ship sent the medics into walls and consoles scattered throughout sick bay. Moans came from those that hit the wall and desk. Discomfort sounds came from those slammed against consoles.

" Is every one alright?" Kala inquired with concern.

" Just fine," charmed one ensign.
"Yes, Ma'am," confirmed another.
" What happened," questioned some.

"I am not sure," Kala responded.

Ramak swiftly tapped her comm-badge. [Bridge. This is Sick bay, please respond. ]
Static filled the comm channel.
[This is Doctor Ramak to anyone on the bridge: please respond.]

" Doctor, the comm might be down," suggested the head nurse.

" This could be true." Ramak turned to face the medics, "We know there could be trouble. It is a possibility that the comm system may have been damaged. We are duty bound to assist the injured." Ramak glanced out of the glass doors. " Nurses Casar and Martian, equip yourselves with a emergency medical kit and make your way to the bridge. If there is injured do your best to treat them. The rest of us will remain here. If there are injured crewmen aboard ship they will undoubtedly try to make their way here.... We should be ready. Dismissed."

"Aye, Ma'am!" they all responded.

Doctor Ramak walked over to the medical console and began working on sick bay communication systems. Her knowledge was limited, but every cadet graduate had to have some operational training, and her's was going to be tested.

She tapped commands in one right after another for minutes on end, to no avail. So, she tried different vectors, rerouted command sequences, deleted key subroutines; Ramak did everything physically possible to establish communication with the rest of the ship, but it was an engineering problem. Point blank.

"Doctor," her nurse called," perhaps you should take a break. Some of us have been talking and we think that a few of the medical staff should return to the axillary departments. Perhaps some of the crew would attempt to go there, instead."

While Ramak found this course of action highly unlikely, she couldn't disagree with her head of nursing. It would be possible for crew-members to access the other departments more easily than they could sick-bay.
" Permission, granted," She said with a smile.
"However, Nurse Akohr, I would like for you to remain in sick-bay. I am sure we will be needing you... Lieutenants Mitchell and Campbell, take Ensigns Nguyen , A'Cey, and V'sol to the axillary departments. Prepare for wounded, and be careful; We do not know what happened. The ship could be severely damaged."

Ramak quickly returned her attention to the medical console. There had to be some way of restoring communications. Again, she expertly handled the controls-improvising when needed.

Nurse Akohr watched from a distance trying to determine if the Chief was out of her mind or understood part of what she was doing.

"Doctor Ramak, may I speak with you privately?" the nurse's voice rumbled.
"By all means.My office," she signaled.

Kala discontinued her work on the comm and headed toward the bleak office.

" Yes?"
"Doctor Ramak, we have the medical bay prepared for the triage and treatment of injured crewmen."
"Indeed," Ramak agreed.
" Then my I ask why you assigned me here. I would be more helpful if I were positioned in one of the axillary departments. I am more than cap--"
" -- Yes, yes you are more than capable of carrying out the duties. I know this; you know this. On the other hand, I need you here. You are my right hand man.....woman. If something were to happen to me I would need you here." Ramak made her way to her distasteful chair and allowed her expressions to reflect her discontent with the chair.
" Understood, Ma'am. I was just curiou--"

From the triage area the doctor could hear a growing commotion and became quite interested in the ruckus. " Wait here," she ordered Akohr.

Upon exiting the office who was explaining the situation to one of the nurses.
"....Doctor," he turned in relief. " The ship is being flooded with chroniton radiation and hit with chroniton particles. Lieutenant Riojj needs medical attention right away."

Ramak focused on the science officer. He appeared to be undamaged. " Very well. Nurse Akohr, you will assist the science officer. Provide them with all the medical treatment they need and then return." Ramak sauntered over to the bio beds, " Commander Kriegel, did my med team arrive on the bridge? We sent them a few minutes ago. They should have reached you by now... Of course, we would have no way of knowing- our comm is down."

Kriegel looked perplexed. " No. There was no medical team when I left. Additionally, the comm was up when I left the bridge."

Doctor Ramak tapped her combadge, [ Ramak to bridge medical team. Please respond.]

[Medical team here. There's no one on the bridge, Commander.]

Kriegel interrupted, " That's because the captain has ordered officers to the emergency shelters."

[Return to sick bay, med team.]

Ramak watched as her lead nurse and the science officer made their way out of the glass doors and down the corridor.

"Okay, you heard the man. We can begin with radiation protection protocol." The turn of events left the doctor displaced in sickbay. She swiftly gathered her padd and cleared them out of the work area. " We need to begin filling the emergency medical kits with Morphenolog, Kelotane, Dermaline, and Sonambutril. These medications will allow us to effectively treat those with minor to sever radiation burns... Lets get to it."

Ramak grabbed her a set of medical kits and began filling them as others joined in on the effort to equip the kits.

"Doctor, the comm is up," reported one nurse who was monitoring the communications display.

"Report."

" There are many thing going wrong. Where should I start?"
" At the beginning, ensign. At the beginning-slowly."

" The flashed we experienced was a built up of chronitons on the hull. It's also what's keeping us from leaving this temporal anomaly. The Captain abandoned the bridge and all outer sections of the hull. He believe it would protect the crew from further radiation exposure and harm. He has set up temporary command in Engineering. Furthermore, The captain, Lieutenant Riojj, and Ensign T'Lar embarked on an away mission...... The captain is now dead."
He paused as if to give the captain a moment of silence.

[Sovereign come in, this is Riojj. We've been hit by a chroniton burst. The Captain's dead, shields are compromised and we'll be exposed in just over fifteen minutes. We have to execute this plan now if we're to have any hope of completing it...]

[Riojj, this is Sovereign. Implementing now!]

" Ensign, we can mourn his death at a later time. Not now. Finish your report."

".... This is a live comm channel. They are implementing the anti-chroniton burst as we spppppppppppeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaakkkkkkkk."

Suddenly, the room began to slow down and speed up. Time seemed to be confused and the medical staff was no better off. Then, just as it appeared the temporal distortion faded away leaving some stunned and question filled nurses.

[ Sickbay to Engineering, This is Commander Ramak. What's going on down there? We're experiencing temporal anomalies. Would this be our efforts to realign with normal time? ]
Promise me you'll always remember:
You're braver than you believe,
and stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.
AlyssaJaneway2
Commander
Commander

Postby Joshawott » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:12 pm

(Sorry for not replying sooner! Business of the upcoming school year hit me square in the face. Hopefully this makes up for it. Also posted in Sickbay for the sake of continuity.)

{Playing as Ensign T'Lar}

One second, the Vulcan was tapping fervently away at the helm. The next she was in her personal quarters on Vulcan; she was at home. She sat on her calves in front of a candle, hands at her sides in meditation. Oddly, her new surroundings calmed the suppressed emotions buried within her. It made her forget about the death of her Captain. About the seeming impending demise of her first an only deep space assignment.

But then, she was slapped with reality as the chronitons left her brain.

To her surprise, there were now two bodies on the deck. The Boslic gyrated as tears flooded the surrounding plating. She rushed to the Lieutenant and grabbed her by the shoulders, attempting to lock eye contact. She wasn't dead; not anywhere close, but she appeared to be in shock. And then there was one.

"I'm trying to reroute power from thrusters to shields, but we will have to be careful at impulse," she spoke to herself with no emphasis, attempting to retain her sanity as the temporal energy plagued her consciousness. She tapped her combadge after jumping to the ops station, managing shield output with the energy she just made available.

[Ensign T'Lar to Sovereign. We have another wounded. I think our work is complete. We should be able to, and I quote, 'wiggle our way out.' Contact the Cardassians, tell them to modulate their shields to the frequency I am transmitting to you. I am heading back to the saucer. Prepare for reattachment sequence.]

As she whipped her head to the helm station, monitoring the systems from afar, something caught her in the corner of her eye. The Captain's chest... Rose? Was it movement? Was it the small sliver of hope she concealed putting imagery into her head? She ignored it and returned to adjusting the impulse engines for maximum efficiency.

But now it wasn't a trick of her mind. The recently diseased man sprang to life with a raspy gasp; eyes opening to maximum width and jaw dropped to the floor. His eyes fluttered and his arms flailed, screaming for survival and grabbing onto the Ensign's trousers. "Captain!" She spurted, falling to her knees with tricorder in hand.

"You're... You're alright," she explained absorbing the information the device spewed out. "I don't see how this is possible!" she spoke with inquiry. "You are going to be fine, Captain. Just try to breathe."

Once again, after remanning the helm, she activated her badge. [T'Lar to Sovereign. The Captain is alive. I suggest a temporal trick. He's delirious. I advise the immediate transport to sickbay after we have reattached to the saucer.]

T'Lar gazed into the vastness of space as the shuttle clanked against the ship, the magnetic constrictors beginning to lock in place. [Sickbay, now.] Almost immediately, the three bodies materialized in front of the Bajoran.

(Her we go, Alyssa :D )
Whatever it is, it feels like it's staring at me through the glass of a two-sided mirror. Whatever it is, it's just sitting' there, laughing at me.

I request Level 3 Critique on anything in the Critique section. :D

If you wish to join the Star Trek: Sovereign story, please PM me!
Joshawott
RPG-GM
RPG-GM

Location: Aboard the USS Sovereign, headquartered in the Beta Volvino system.

Postby AlyssaJaneway2 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:30 pm

Kala had just finished her diagnosis of Lieutenant McCormack when the comm chirped to life.

[Sickbay, prepare for emergency transport.]

Doctor Ramak cleared the emergency bio bed without a response. She knew Lt. Riojj reported Captain Dawnter dead, however, she believed she could resuscitate him if they returned to the ship in time. That conviction furthered her preparation.

"Nurse, continue to monitor the chief's stability. Keep him under heavy sedation for the next twelve hours. I want him to be well rested before he returns to duty." Kala grabbed her tricorder and stood by the bio bed in wait. The time there allowed her to reflect on her personal experiences with resuscitation. Only once had she preformed the procedure: on an Andorian engineer who's shuttle was hit by a gravitic mine. The Andorian had gone into cardiac arrest by the time the U.S.S President arrived. She struggled to keep him alive. Seven times he flat lined and seven time she brought him back, nevertheless, his injuries were too extensive to treat,and he died. The thought of it happening again frightened her.

[Ramak to Doctor Adock. Report to Sickbay. We have incoming injuries.]

Ramak took a deep breath and cleared her mind of all those horrific memories. They wouldn't do her any good now.

[Sickbay, now.]

The three officers appeared in swirls of blue lights and spheres. Ensign T'Lar was the only one of the trio standing. "What happened?" Ramak questioned.

" Captain Dawnter," who materialized on the floor," was exposed to a build up of chronitons. The chronitons over loaded his console. I checked on him; he was dead." Ensign T'Lar lowered her head remembering the remorse of her fallen comrade. "Moments later Lieutenant Riojj began screaming and collapsed onto the deck." T'Lar allowed herself time to probe her memory for anything of value to her crew-members as the doctor and medical staff began treatment. "I can not recall anything further, doctor....I will be on the bridge if I can provide any additional assistance." T'Lar turned sharply and glided for the door.

" Ensign,"Ramak called after her, " I want a full medical work up before you leave. Take a seat."

Kala flipped open her tricorder as she knelt down beside the two injured officers. " Captain Dawnter," Kala said with the best smile she could muster," I am sorry I could not meet you under better circumstances." It was clear to Kala that the captain couldn't understand a word of her message. He simply blinked his eyes and moaned in pain. " We will have you 'fixed up' in no time, captain."

Kala's tricorder registered nothing out of the ordinary. Captain Dawnter had a mild concussion; Lieutenant Riojj was suffering from hallucination. But what was causing her hallucinations? That was the mystery.

"Being a medical work up on Ensign T'Lar," she ordered. " We will get Lieutenant Riojj onto a the emergency bed and put the captain of bio bed four. I will need to monitor him closely. Nurse, begin a treatment for his concussion and keep me apprised of his condition."

Everyone, including the doctor , snapped to their assignments. Ramak assisted one of the nurses in lifting Lt. Riojj onto the bed.

"Lieutenant Riojj," Ramak called with a thundering clap," can you hear me?"

The lieutenant let out another ear-splitting,"NO!"

"LIEUTENANT RIOJJ," the doctor returned. "I'm Doctor Ramak, on board the Soverign . You are in sickbay."

The lieutenant continued to breath deeply. She huffed and puffed uncontrollably in order to stay one step ahead of her phantasm. Her chest blew out and sucked in as much air as her lungs could grasp. Kala felt the muscles of Riojj heart tighten with incredible force, sending gushes of blood down her veins in a single movement. Her breath quickened, and Riojj used every muscle in my body to stifle a whimper.

"Lieutenant Riojj, I am going to give you medicine to help control your breathing, but you have to listen to my voice. Focus on the sound of my voice." The doctor grabbed a hypo-spray and immersed Riojj's steaming blood with a respiratory agent. "Better?"

"Doctor!" Riojj managed as her breathing became slower and deeper, "doctor you have to help me." Tremors took control over Riojj's body and her face shattered with a number of expressions. The lieutenant was loosing the battle. Her fear was becoming immeasurable. Terror coursed through her veins.

" I am, Lieutenant." Kala said, trying to disrupt the fiction. "You are hallucinating!" Ramak informed objectively. "What is it that you see?"

"ANSWER ME!"

Riojj didn't respond. Instead, her eyes continued to revealed fear and horror which negated the first impression of the doctor. Riojj wasn't a fearful woman. In fact, she was quite the opposite. Ramak knew that much by peering into her fearful, cavernous retinas. Her eyes revealed a familiar story, indeed.

"Nurse, begin a complete neural scan of Lieutenant Riojj. I want to know what we are dealing with."

"Doctor," Lieutenant Adock alerted from bio bed four."The captain's concussion has been repaired.However, there has been a serious lack of oxygen. I wouldn't be surprised if there's severe Cerebral hypoxia."

Kala gathered her medical tray and pushed it to the captain's bio bed. She removed the tricorder and began scanning. The wand flashed lighting diodes and the tricorder beeped as it interpreted the data. " The captain has had a severe lack of oxygen, but I am not detecting any type of hypoxia." She turned to look at her surprised doctor. " We are in a temporal anomaly," she stated the obvious. " That could be a possible reason for his lack of neural damage." She gave a delicate smile, hoping to console her staff member. " You can begin a low dose oxygen therapy for precautionary measures."

A simple,"Aye, Ma'am," concluded.

Kala had now checked two of her three patients. Next, would be Ensign T'Lar. From what Ramak could see, the Vulcan had a time keeping a stable emotional state. Kala admired that. All her life she had aspired to rid herself of emotions, but she could never get rid of them.They were a part of her. For Kala, emotions were a weakness, however, she noted their strengths. For example, the emotion fear- it can strongly suggest against a course of action that would prove to be dangerous or risky. On the other hand, Fear pumps adrenaline into our bodies. We obtain a temporary heighten senses and our heart rate increases. In this case, fear is actually strength because the body is preparing itself to face whatever that we are scared of by stimulating adrenaline which causes us to have increased awareness and become more conscious of our surroundings. Kala strongly admired the restraint of Vulcans and their ability to objectify a situation accordingly. But at the end of the day emotions were on her side.

"Ensign, how are you feeling?" Ramak asked, as she rounded the respective bio bed.

" I am well, doctor."

Her short response was unexpected. Ramak assumed that the Vulcan would elaborate more on her memory now that she had a chance to review it. She did not.

" Do you remember anything else about the shuttle accident?"

" No."

Another short answer.

" Very well. Nurse Akohr says you are physically fit to return to duty, but I would like for you to return if you experience any dizziness, headaches, and/or nausea. Understood?"

" Understood," T'Lar confirmed. She swiftly gathered herself and made a speedy exit leaving Dr. Ramak with more questions than answers.
AlyssaJaneway2
Commander
Commander

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:52 am

That night had been one of the worst of Riojj's life--and that was saying something. It was an event she had locked up in the deepest darkest recesses of her mind, in fear of what might happen should she ever have to confront the full force of the memory, as well as the fear and panic, and heart-wrenching sorrow that accompanied it.

The nurse who Doctor Ramak had assigned to carry out the neural scan was more the typical picture of such a medical professional; a pretty young female, with honey-blonde hair and big dark eyes, with an ensigns insignia on her collar. She looked far too young to be a commissioned officer, but moved with practiced grace and experienced certainty, connecting a heavy-duty neuro-scanner to the bed of the biobed and ensuring Riojj was in place.

"Just relax and breath normally, Lieutenant. You won't feel a thing."

Riojj was about to nod when a flash of memory returned to her: the hulking Orion's trousers hitting the floor, the blade he held glinting in the dim light, his eyes boring into her as he licked his curled lips. She shut her eyes, pushing the memory back, feeling the scar across her back ache. A pained growl escaped her lips.

Lieutenant, stay with me, a quiet but strong voice filled her mind. Focus on me, focus on my voice. You are safe. You are on the Sovereign and I am going to help you. Just stay with me.

Her eyes shot open once again and she saw she was back in sickbay, the nurse (who she suspected was a Betazoid) stood by her bed, holding onto her hand, with an unwaveringly determined look in her eyes. "Stay with me, Lieutenant," she said softly.

"This isn't a hallucination. I am there again, everything is as real to me now as it was then!"

The nurse held her imploring look. "We will figure this out, I promise you that, Lieutenant. Just don't give into the memory, stay strong and focused."

Tears trickled from her eyes. "I wasn't back then. In the flashbacks, I'm eight years old again and terrified of the man who broke into my home and what he was about to do to me."

The nurse was about to ask something else when the computer interrupted her. Still holding Riojj's hand, neither woman willing to let go of the simple physical connection, she checked the readout and her flawlessly smooth brow creased. She tapped a few commands and the creases deepened.

"Doctor," the nurse called over to the CMO.

The Bajoran looked up from when Captain Dawnter's biobed, handed a PADD to another officer before her purposeful gait carried her across the ward in a few seconds. "Yes nurse?"

"Scans are showing her limbic system is flooded with chronotrons. What Lieutenant Riojj is experiencing aren't hallucinations, her mind seems to be actually regressing to its younger self--almost as though it were jumping between the past and the present."
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby AlyssaJaneway2 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:35 pm

"Scans are showing her limbic system is flooded with chronitons. What Lieutenant Riojj is experiencing aren't hallucinations, her mind seems to be actually regressing to its younger self--almost as though it were jumping between the past and the present."

Ramak took a look at the scans displayed on the monitor, "Chronitons?"

"Yes, ma'am," the nurse confirmed.

" Nurse, that was rhetorical," she said with a faint smile.

"Lets begin with a series of anti-chroniton pulses directed toward the medial temporal lobe. The hippocampus should be disrupted long enough for us to repair the damage and stabilize the patient."

"Nurse!" Ramak called, needing additional support. A young, Hispanic nurse ran over from his patient with a grave and daring look on his face," Yes, Ma'am?"

"We are going to preform an anti-chroniton sweep of the patients brain. I will need you to monitor her vitals."

Ramak turned to the utility station behind her, " Prepare Alkysine 2cc doese. I want to use that as our preventive." Kala quickly gathered the tools she was going to need and whirled around to her small group hard at work with preparation.

" Okay. We are ready." She grabbed a tricorder and began her initial scan. This would give her a basis for all other scan,essentially a starting point.

" Nurse, inject her with a 2cc dose of Alkysine." The hypo-spray diffused and the scans noted Lieutenant Riojj's change in chemical readings.

" Set the anti-chroniton sweep to 6 pars per billion. I want to take this slow." The head band beeped to life and a blue beam began covering Riojj's face.

"Vitals are normal," reported the nurse.
"Excellent."

"Chronitons are down 20 percent," proclaimed the nurse.
" Stay calm Mr. Santura..... We have eighty percent more."

Kala grabbed a cylinder device and activated its humming pulse. "Lieutenant, try to remain stable." Kala, concentrating at the time, couldn't remember the vernacular with was, 'hang in there'. It's was Ramak's duty to help this officer not comfort her with words; she would leave that to her nurses.

" I'm going to begin direct synaptic regeneration. Santura, monitor the neural transmitter levels. Let me know if they begin to increase or decrease rapidly."

A yellow hued beam covered the front of Kala's device, as she began to stroke it slowly over Riojj's forehead. It pulsed and beeped , letting the doctor know that it was, indeed working.

" Status?"
" Chronitons are down to forty percent-Transmitters stable," Santura reported. Kala returned a concerned look.

"Doctor!" one of the duty nurses alerted.
" What?!" she returned.
" Engineering would like an update on our status. They would like to be notified of anything that could possibly help us escape this anomaly and protect the crew."
"And they will know everything," Kala responded, with a touch of aggravation in her voice," when I do. Kindly, inform Engineering that Captain Dawnter has been treated for temporal psychosis; Lieutenant McCormack has been treated for two broken ribs and severe chest burns. He will be on duty in 12 hours; Lieutenant Riojj? I will have to keep the apprised.."

Kala quickly turned her attention back to her work. The chroniton levels had fallen to just below seventeen percent and was within safety limits, but Ramak wanted to be sure.
"Continue anti-chroniton burst. I want them completely irradiated."
Santura's console beeped in a shrill and horrid alarm, " Her transmitters are dropping fast ..."

Kala switched the regeneration device into her left hand and began to work the console with her right. " Begin a neural stabilization series. Start with 2cc doses of Hyronalin and alternate between Alkysine. That should begin to counter the affects of the chronitons."

After several more minutes of pain stacking work the chronitons had dropped below one percent and Lieutenant Riojj's life signs had returned to normal.

" Give her a sedative and allow her to rest on bio-bed one. When she wakes up let me know." Kala deactivated her regeneration device and swiftly returned to get updates on her other patients. All seemed well, but what caused harmless chronitons to begin to harm living tissue- that was the real mystery.

[Sickbay to Engineering. I recommend we flood the shield bubble with anti-chronitons. If you create an inverse bubble that would saturate the ship with anti-chronitons. It would certainly slow, if not stop, the occurring damage. Sickbay, out.]
AlyssaJaneway2
Commander
Commander

Postby KahlessOfVulcan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:20 pm

Mike felt his mind slowly and reluctantly swimming back to consciousness, hovering just on the verge of being fully awake but not ready to commit and open his eyes. He floated on the periphery for what felt like hours, semi-conscious of what was going on around him. He had a vague idea that he was in sickbay, as he heard the soft hum of medical equipment and the hurried footsteps of nurses and technicians, but why he was there was beyond his recollection at the moment. He heard a few familiar voices, first the rumbling baritone of Nurse Akohr, then the soft lilt of that pretty Betazoid nurse whose name escaped him. Their voices emerged from the background noise, became distinct for a moment and lapsed back into anonymity, joining a dozen other mumbling voices he heard but couldn't understand.

Mike had almost surrendered again to the sweet embrace of sleep when another voice cut through the mumbling background noise, authoritative and clear as day, a voice that could only belong to Doctor Ramak Kala.

"...end we flood the shield bubble with anti-chronitons. If you create an inverse bubble that would saturate the ship with anti-chronitons. It would certainly slow, if not stop, the occurring damage. Sickbay, out."

Suddenly Mike remembered everything as it came back to him in a chaotic succession of images in random order - the mission briefing, the Klingon ship disintegrating, Inaria Stilet's smile, a sudden flash of light followed by Mike hitting the wall with enough force to break bones.

A sharp pain erupted in the back of his skull and Mike opened his eyes.
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."
-Ben Grimm, AKA The Ever-Lovin' Blue Eyed Thing

Thanks to Joshawott for my avatar (Lt. Mike McCormack, USS Sovereign)
KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Joshawott » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:06 pm

(This is going to be short, but my main character is unconscious so I'll wait for further treatment to respond with Dawnter.)

{Playing as Ensign Carlos Santuara}

It was chaos, yes, but Ramak directed the chaotic symphony with such finesse that there wasn't a shred of worry within his core. Carlos had faith in his CMO, even if he had only known her for moments.

He did as he was told just as he was told to. He monitored Rioj's condition and administered medicine whenever directed to do so. While there were obstacles, he knew she was going to be fine.

"Doctor, I know you're pretty busy, but I think we should stabilize the Captain even more so to get him up and running. This ship needs a Captain. Especially when it's First Officer isn't fit for duty."

"On second thought," Ramak spoke, "Get Yaren out of her quarters. That is if she's not already roaming about the ship. The Captain is staying here for now."
Whatever it is, it feels like it's staring at me through the glass of a two-sided mirror. Whatever it is, it's just sitting' there, laughing at me.

Joshawott
RPG-GM
RPG-GM

Postby AlyssaJaneway2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:56 pm

Doctor Ramak tapped her combadge to close the comm and returned to her medical duties. A gray medical pad contained the latest updated on her patients. The pad was almost within arms reach, when the bio bed screamed to life, alerting the medical staff that Lieutenant McCormack was finally conscience.

" Doctor," one of the staff shouted impatiently," Lieutenant McCormack has regained conscience." The medic scrabbled to a wall monitor and began to establish vitals, while Doctor Ramak rushed over.

" Status?" she inquired, before reaching the bed.
" Stable," the medic confirmed with uncertainty.

Kala grasped a tricorder and flipped it open. Scanning the Lieutenant, Kala remained vigilant in her assessment of his medical status.

" How are you feeling?" she asked, curious about his regaining conscientiousness.

" Aside from a head ache?" he questioned.

" Aside from the head ache." She confirmed.

" Not bad. I'm a little stiff, but other than that, I'm just fine."

Kala smiled at the Lieutenant and regarded his medical work up, " It would seem that you are free to go. I would suggest light work upon returning to duty, but other than that you are medically fit to return to normal duties."

"Doctor, I know you're pretty busy, but I think we should stabilize the Captain even more so to get him up and running. This ship needs a Captain. Especially when it's First Officer isn't fit for duty." Kala shifted her attention to the eager ensign who masked his enthusiasm with a broad, full smile. "On second thought," Ramak spoke,laying McCormack's pad down on the foot of the bed and allowing the medic to complete McCormack's discharge," Get Yaren out of her quarters. That is if she's not already roaming about the ship. The Captain is staying here for now."

Santura's smile seemed to instantly increase. He made an abrupt spin and bolted for one of the nearby consoles. It's beeped as he masterfully operated the interface, and Kala returned to her medical report.

The report was a patient out of date, but all the same it was still accurate. For the most part, Captain Dawnter was resting peacefully and so was Lieutenant Riojj. Mission accomplished, for now.

The appeal of the doctor's office began to entice Ramak's tingling feet, and the lure of a horrid chair pulled the doctor in the door way... Moments later, she was planted in the repugnant seat going over the pads and sipping a cup of darkened ice tea.
AlyssaJaneway2
Commander
Commander

Postby captainuniverse » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:07 pm

(Portraying Lieutenant Huxil)

The intercom whistled for attention before a voice said,"Lieutenant Huxil to Sickbay. Could you send someone down to examine Commander Tam? He looks pale and he's been vomiting. Huxil out."

(I probably flubbed this. Sorry!)
"All of Time and Space; everywhere and anywhere; every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"

"Geronimo!"

Thanks to FltCpt. Bossco for my Tattok avatar. This is Tattok when he assumed the position of Commander-in-Chief, Starfleet in the year 2411.
captainuniverse
Federation Attaché
Federation Attaché

Postby AlyssaJaneway2 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:59 pm

The scrolling of Kala's pad beeped concurrently with the chirp of the comm.

"Lieutenant Huxil to Sickbay. Could you send someone down to examine Commander Tam? He looks pale and he's been vomiting. Huxil out."

"Talk about short and sweet," Ramak thought as the desk monitor snapped on. " Nurse Akohr, please report to engineering."

Kala took another sip of her tea and deactivated the monitor. It had been a long couple of hours and the majority of her work was out of the way. For the moment she awaited the full recovery of two senior officer and a moment of rest. Kala still needed to approve or deny numerous request that laid scattered on her desk, but they had waited this long, a few minutes more wouldn't hurt them at all.
AlyssaJaneway2
Commander
Commander

Postby Joshawott » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:52 pm

{Playing as Ensign Carlos Santura}

As Carlos was ordered to contact his first officer, his perception whirled around and headed towards the communications monitor. As the control interface finally portrayed the contact to Yaren's quarters, he tapped the cyan oval, commanding the screen to widen and display the face of Commander Yaren.

Antennae heightened, Yaren coughed and stared into the monitor.

"Commander," he smiled, "I am almost positive that you are completely aware of the ship's status. But you may not know that the Captain is under intensive care, and um-" he cleared his throat, "Tam is in command. The medical staff and I agree that you have had sufficient time to recover and that it would be advisable for you to assume command while Dawnter is incapacitated."

He licked his lips, classed his hands and awaited a response. He thought he handled that quite well.

Joshawott
RPG-GM
RPG-GM

Postby KahlessOfVulcan » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:43 pm

One thing Mike admired about Doctor Ramak was her efficiency. Although her bedside manner could have used a bit of a gentler touch, nobody could rightly accuse her of wasting time. Less than ten minutes after waking up, Mike had been cleared for light duty and was now a free man.

Although he had been released by Doctor Ramak, Mike didn't leave immediately, opting instead to quietly approach Dawnter's bedside as his friend and Captain slept, at the same time listening as Ensign Santura spoke to Commander Yaren. As he silently eavesdropped, Mike took a quick look at the medical console beside Dawnter's biobed and sighed with frustration. Obviously, he was no doctor or nurse, but he had a basic idea what he was looking at. Joshua appeared to be resting peacefully, but his chaotic vitals told a different story. Ramak and her assistants had kept him stable so far, but he was still in pretty rough shape.

"Hang in there, Skipper," Mike told the sleeping Captain. "I'll hold down the fort until you come back to us."

Mike left Dawnter's bedside and approached Riojj. He considered her a friend, even if she didn't return the feeling. She too looked peaceful and serene, but she wasn't out of the woods either. Mike shook his head.

"Damn, Zaeryn," he whispered so as not to wake her. "We've all taken a beating, haven't we? I guess a security chief's not much use against a temporal anomaly."

(Just a quick friendly note, Alyssa...you keep confusing the words "conscious" and "conscience." Mike is finally conscious and has returned to consciousness.)
"You may think you're stronger than me - and MAYBE you are - but I got something you ain't never gonna have. Heart."

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:10 pm

"Damn, Zaeryn," he whispered so as not to wake her. "We've all taken a beating, haven't we? I guess a security chief's not much use against a temporal anomaly."

"Take your shirt off and give us all something to look at then," Riojj commented behind closed eyes. A faint smile tugging at her lips as she opened one eye slightly and looked up to see a smirk form in amongst the stubble on his face.

"You ok?" he asked, a hint of genuine concern in his tone.

McCormack wasn't a friend, because she didn't have any of those--emotional attachments made her weak, and after having lost so much in her life, she doubted she had the mental strength to lose anyone else she might consider herself 'close' too--but he was a shipmate, a bond she understood.

Unable to see much of sickbay, other than the thin sliver her half open eye allowed, she couldn't tell who was nearby. "Where's the doc?"

He looked around, taking a moment to spot her elsewhere in the ward. "In her office. Why?"

"Good, you can bust me out of here then."

"You've not been cleared--"

"Mac, I have to get down to Engineering. There are readings I got on the yacht that we'll need to plot a safe course out of this distortion field, which won't do us much good if I'm stuck up here."

He looked back towards Doctor Ramak for a second, then around at the other medics, before offering her his hand. She took it and in one swift motion, he had her on her feet and heading out the exit without anyone noticing.
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby AlyssaJaneway2 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:28 pm

Doctor Ramak had just finished her last sip of tea when one of the monitors sounded in the medical bay. The Captain was waking. Without further ado, Kala jumped to her feet and rushed toward the nearest medical tray. The metals on the tray bounced with the groves of the carpet as Kala hurried to the captain's side.

" Captain Dawnter, this is Commander Ramak. Can you hear me?" Kala's tricorder beeped to life and the diodes began to hum with virtual excitement.
"Captain Dawnter, can you hear me?" Ramak's brown eyes batted with hope as the captain stretched and moan.
" Sir, I'm --"

" I heard you the first time, commander!" the captain said unsettled.
" Very good, sir." Ramak ran the tricorder over his abdomen and raised it toward his head.
" Sir, you were in an accident. You were unresponsive when you returned aboard ship.... Do you recall anything?"
AlyssaJaneway2
Commander
Commander

Postby KahlessOfVulcan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Mike glanced back nervously one last time before leaving Sickbay, following close behind Zaeryn as she rushed towards the nearest turbolift.

"Computer," Mike said as an afterthought, "state the location of Lieutenant Commander Tam."

"Lieutenant Commander Tam is on the bridge," the computer replied promptly.

"That figures," Mike muttered to himself. More clearly he said, "Zaeryn, I can be a whole lot more useful at my station on the bridge. I'll leave you to it and head up there, if that's alright with you."

"You don't need my permission, Lieutenant," Zaeryn said in the same neutral, dismissive tone she normally used on him, but Mike could have sworn he saw a friendly gleam in her eyes and the ghost of a smile on her lips.

"Just being polite, Zaeryn. Oh, and by the way, you know the Doc's gonna have my head for this, right?"

KahlessOfVulcan
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Next

Return to Star Trek Sovereign