Dark Matter

Non Star Trek: Star Wars, Firefly, BSG, Babylon 5, Stargate, etc.

Moderator: Dancyer McCoy

Forum rules
For those who haven't noticed the Forum Rules have been revised. It might be a good idea to take a look at them if you haven't read them for awhile. You'll find them in the Forum Rules forum at the top of the index page.

Dark Matter

Postby jayphailey » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:13 pm

Dark Matter

Has anyone been watching this? I have been and I have been enjoying it. It's not Star Trek, but it's people dressed funny, pretending they're on a starship, so there ya go.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Re: Dark Matter

Postby Bry_Sinclair » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:10 am

I finally got myself the Season 1 boxset to see what it was like. Hadn't read anything about it, didn't know it was from a comic, so went in completely cold.

My first impressions is that it seems like the lovechild of Firefly and Deepwater Black--not necessarily a bad thing.

It's actually a pretty solid show, better than some other productions. It's in the same vein as Killjoys which I also enjoy.

I was sad to hear that it'd been cancelled after 3 seasons, but will be looking out for the boxsets when I get the chance (and after payday).
Avatar: Captain Reihyn, Commanding Officer, U.S.S. Orion (circa 2375)
Artist: FltCpt. Bossco
Bry_Sinclair
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Jpatten » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:25 am

I watched the first season on Netflix. Got one episode into the second season and they pulled it from Streaming to DVD only. I am annoyed. I was going to finish watching it. But I was getting to where i liked it and had to admit I was a bit worried that they were going to wind up going "X-files" down the rabbit hole" deep in conspiracies. ANd make it so convoluted it wa not possible to see who was on what side.
I don't know half you half as well as I'd like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
Jpatten
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby jayphailey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:02 pm

Apparently, the third season has dropped on Netflix.

I will be watching before long.

The blog of the creater aid there was no dice bringing the thing to a new home, so it's done.

He's thinking about doing a comic to complete the arcs and lets us all know where it should have ended.
"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" - Leonard Nimoy

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby jayphailey » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Kink to the actual blog so you can read it for yourself

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Postby Michael » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:58 pm

jayphailey wrote:Dark Matter

Has anyone been watching this? I have been and I have been enjoying it. It's not Star Trek, but it's people dressed funny, pretending they're on a starship, so there ya go.

Based on your mentioning it here, I gave it a look, watching the first episode. I liked it. They kept me guessing as the episode progressed, and the concept is intriguing.

I plan on watching more.

(I haven't gotten a chance to watch Discovery yet which is why I haven't commented. Debating whether or not to sign up for the CBS free trial. )
-Michael Gray
"In Great Deeds Something Abides"
Michael
Senior Admin
Senior Admin

Postby jayphailey » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:20 am

Well word is that Dark Matter was not able to be saved, so it passes into history with three seasons.

I am almost finished watching the third. Iike it. I would borrow elements of it for Jay-Trek.

I'd borrow more for a generic swashbucking space fantasy game.

A friend referred me to a website in the dark and skeezy corners of the internet that has Discovery for streaming. I watched it there and I enjoyed it so far. Frankly, I think Orville is a little better, but I am willing to keep watching DSC and see where it goes.

jayphailey
Moderator, RPG
Moderator, RPG

Return to Other Sci-Fi, & Fantasy